Patrick Willis

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2008, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey...

Thanks for the compliment! :))

I think it's possible we take Willis...IF he's there...and we don't have anyone else rated as highly and we're not getting anything good in a trade down scenario.

The questions are...

Is he a Ray Lewis type impact player at MLB? (Maybe)
    Is he only a 2 down run stuffer? (Maybe not)
    Will he be there? (Probably not)
    Will he be our top rated prospect? (Maybe)

In a perfect world we get a dominant pass rushing DE, CB, S or DT before a Willis in rnd 1...but we're far from a perfect world. The two areas we can't get a Pro Bowl player in free agency are S and DT. And then the questions start...

Could Adalius Thomas be a Pro Bowl DE...OR MLB OR be a HYBRID? I personally wouldn't touch a free agent S as I don't think any of them are great and would still cost a bundle. In addition, this is a talented AND deep S draft class.

DT's are a mixed bag and a lot depends on how the Titans rate Tank Tyler, Amobi Okoye, and Adam Carriker.

One of the top 2 S's could be there (Reggie Nelson or LaRon Landry).

Or the best MLB in the draft. And how often do we actually talk about a MLB as a sure fire first rnd pick?

Yes, we have other needs and could probably help our D more taking another position if there is an equally graded player. But the question becomes...what do the Titans do if Willis is the highest graded player on their board and a trade down doesn't look attractive? I'd rather take Willis than significantly reach on another position, but it all depends on what we do in free agency.

If they sign a Fletcher, I can't see Willis being drafted. If not, Willis is a possibility but not exactly an ideal choice.

Gut

2. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Gut... We could get a pro bowl UFA DT in Kris Jenkins... Rumors abound he'll be a cap casualty. I would jump at him even with his injury history. He is a pro bowl DT when healthy.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I have a hard time believing a team built around defense would let there best or second best defensive player go due to a high cap number.

But if he was a cap casualty (or possibly one), I WOULD offer the Panthers a draft pick and trade for him rather than let him be cut and have to outbid every other team.

But if we could get our hands on Jenkins and Clements...we'd be crazy not to go hard after them both.

Talk about an upgrade of D personel!

Gut

4. Agree but ptobaly won't happen

I agree but like Gut mentioned Carolina probaly won't get rid of him considering there already gonna let Rucker and Minter go.This FA has alot of depth at DT espically vetrans.Vonnie Holliday(miami),Mike Myers(denver)Hollis Thomas(saints)Corey Redding(lions) and possibly Corey Simon(colts) if Indy cuts him loose. I'd take any one of those guys to add to our rotation.All solid players espically Hollis Thomas and Corey Redding. I wonder whether the Titans resign Robaire Smith or Randy Starks. With Tony Brown playing a key part last year and Fisher already saying Brown played well enough to be a part of the teams future,makes you wonder about Smith.I'd like to see Starks get locked up,hard to beleive the kid is only 23,has alot of upside and still could add a few more pounds to his frame. It'll be interesting to see..

5. no one ever answered my question... is patrick willis better than aj hawk was last year at this time

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

probably talent wise, but he is at a less desirable position so he wont go as high.

7. alright thanks man

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO Hawk was slightly overated and Willis seems to be underated.
    The best LB coming out last year turned out to be Ryans who I'm not sure anyone thought would translate well as a 4-3 MLB. I would bet Willis could play strong side OLB in a 4-3 and certainly one of the ILB positions in a 3-4.
    He has great instincts, is athletic and a great tackler.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hawk over rated?

119 tackles, 82 solo. 3.5 sacks and 2 ints. Not bad for an over rated rookie.

If willis is better than him or as good i would take him in a new york minute. The only issue is his size as an inside player and this isn't a 2 gap team that will protect him. His best position in our system would be the SAM.

I had the same concerns over drafting derrick johnson 2 years back and he is bigger than willis. Johnson is also now a SAM in the 4-3 for the chiefs and not as effective as he was inside..

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut..

"I personally wouldn't touch a free agent S as I don't think any of them are great and would still cost a bundle.'
    ------------

Your logic is in reverse. There are more corners in this draft on day one than safeties and the tag price for a top safety is $4.5M vs over $8.5M for a corner.

The better FA safeties won't cost $4.5M but the better corners could run up to $9M.

For the price of one clements we could sign one of the better FA safeties, sign robaire smith and still have room for another good player. Why blow $9M on one guy?

Not that i would be upset if we do sign clements he is a good player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar