Pass First league+run first team=fail

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rodgev, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Now you are using conditional logic. Saints were among the league leaders in pass attempts last year and are again this year but the results are very different so passing the ball more is not why they are winning.

And not since 2003 have the titans had a QB anywhere close to Drew Brees.

2. rodgev

rodgev Starter

If you have them give me the numbers of percentage of runs on first down in the first quarter. Bad teams tend to fall behind after that and abandon the run. You are an SEC fan so you should know after Bama steps on somebody's throat in the first quarter they abandon all pretense of a run game and sling it around. But since those teams aren't normally passing teams it doesn't work.

Teams like A&M, and Georgia had success against Bama because they are pass first teams. Bama wins because well Saban wins everything but in the NFL a run first team once it falls behind and has to change its identity usually loses. Dont need stats to see that watch the games.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

IDK that they think that at all actually. In fact, I believe they know they're in over their heads. That explains why Loggains reverts to 1960's football, and explains why Munchak is so passive, he's just hanging on for dear life with no clue. [​IMG]

4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I am still waiting to see a play action pass!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think anyone is saying that you HAVE to be a passing team to be successful. Or that a running team CAN'T be successful. But you do have to actually, ya know, be GOOD at running the football if you insist on being a running team.

We've sucked at running the ball for the 3 years now. Yet here we still are, week 10 doing it again (or rather attempting to do it). It almost seems like there's a disconnect between this staff and the FO on the direction of this team. We keep spending our high draft picks as if we want to be a passing team. Meanwhile our philosophy is to be a run it down your throat team.

We're 9 games in and we've had exactly ONE truly dominant day rushing the ball.. ON NINE TRIES. And the one time we were dominant we still barely squeaked out the win. Like I said, there's a disconnect somewhere. Either we're just not bringing in the right players. Or the coaches just don't know how to coach properly. IDK, maybe all of the above.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So the real basis of your thread should be to not be predictable on first down. Throw more early. I don't disagree with that.Or that we need an upgrade to the QB position so we can be more balanced.

Honestly we can't compare ourselves to a team that has Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Those are 2 of the best QBs of all time. It's just a league with a lot of hall of fame caliber QBs right now.

7. rodgev

rodgev Starter

You have to use conditional logic or your argument becomes stagnant and invalid. The Saints had a down yea because they lost there coach and had defensive guys trying to run Payton's offense the years before that I believe they were winning.

And we all know Jake isn't Brees but he has his own strengths as a QB all of them do (except Tebow). A good offense would be designed around Jakes assets not pounding a back up the middle against 8 man fronts Locker has a big arm a cannon and he throws the ball down the field when?

8. rodgev

rodgev Starter

I concede that point to you but in this leauge under GODell a QB is protected like an infant so a dropback may yield an incompletion but if a defender touches your QB you may still gain 15 yards on a penalty. Also you cannot touch a receiver downfield there are 2 different penalties for that make it 3 if he drops the ball before you hit him. A running back is fair game from the moment he touches the ball with no added protections.

So maybe the coaching staff should take advantage of these rules which so greatly favor the passing game. Teams like Denver and New England (yes 2 hall of fame QB's ) get all the calls because they throw so much that the odds are in their favor of getting a BS penalty

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A guy called 104.5 just a few minutes ago making that same point. We are a running team in a passing league but then he said something that is patently false when he said we run the ball 80% of the time.

A few stats that might surprise people but sheds some light on the real problem.

1. We have thrown the ball more than we have run it. 38 times more.

2. We are only 14th in the league in rushing attempts. 13 teams have run more running plays than we have.

3. Our opposition have had a few more running plays against us than we have against them.

So in my opinion we have not run the ball too much we have not run it well enough. And on the other side of the ball we have not stopped the run.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A guy called 104.5 just a few minutes ago making that same point. We are a running team in a passing league but then he said something that is patently false when he said we run the ball 80% of the time.

A few stats that might surprise people but sheds some light on the real problem.

1. We have thrown the ball more than we have run it. 38 times more.

2. We are only 14th in the league in rushing attempts. 13 teams have run more running plays than we have.

3. Our opposition have had a few more running plays against us than we have against them.

So in my opinion we have not run the ball too much we have not run it well enough. And on the other side of the ball we have not stopped the run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar