Palmer regrets not warning receivers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

It didn’t come as a surprise to Titans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer that last Sunday’s officiating crew was particulary aggressive about making offensive pass-interference calls.

But his receivers were certainly taken aback.

Palmer said Thursday the crew for the Indianapolis game, led by referee Alberto Riveron, had a reputation for making offensive pass-interference calls.

“I think each one of those 17 officiating crews has a bio,” Palmer said. “Their bio may mean that this particular crew is going to call a lot of offensive holding, or this crew is going to call roughing the quarterback. Every team in this league will have someone on their staff give them a synopsis of what that crew likes to to call.”

But Palmer said he chose not to tell his receivers about the Riveron crew’s penchant for offensive pass-interference calls because he thought it would be an added distraction.

“We did not (tell them about the officiating crew),” Palmer said. “That’s my fault. I should have brought it up. I didn’t bring it up.

“Sometimes when you have young receivers, you don’t want them to become gun-shy. You want them to play. You don’t want them to be thinking about a lot of different things. If you have a veteran (receiving group), then you bring things like that up.”

The Titans were flagged three times for offensive pass interference in the span of two series, with one of the penalties negating a touchdown pass to Kenny Britt.

“It’s part of the game,” Palmer said of the calls. “But I will say this. It’s the first time in 22 years (of pro coaching) we had three (offensive pass-interference calls) — and all three by one team — in a game.”

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Palmer dropped the ball on this one, Kenny said it best, they should have been warned about these guys.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Kenny britt shouldn't have obviously pushed off that first time, and it wouldn't have been a problem, that dink.

4. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

the 2nd was a joke.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Yes it was. That was a corner who knew he wasn't going to be able to stop the receiver from scoring and decided to flop when the receiver touched him.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

They were all jokes if you ask me... if the roles had been reversed and it happened to our corners, the refs would've left the flags in their pockets.

Horrible calls through and through. Maybe call one... but all three? Kill yourself, ref.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

while we're complaining about the refs... i just keep getting reminded that it could be worse *shudder...

8. DJB

DJB Starter

What would the WRs have done differently if told? Not pass interfered less? They refs called them anyway

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Palmer should have told the WRs and Gray should have known that we only had 10 players on the field.

That loss was a total team effort from the coaches and the players. Will be interesting to see how we respond this week.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We better win, cause being 3-6 will suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar