Palmer Out!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dgup76, Nov 26, 2012.

?
  1. It will make them significantly better.

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. They will be a little better.

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. It will have no impact.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. They'll actually play worse.

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I sort of agree. Pardon the long reply.

Back in the McNair/George/Fisher era, the Titans could run on anyone and it didn't matter how many they put in the box. The game plan could be very vanilla but it didn't matter because the Titans had the talent/experience to make it happen.

They established an identity because of that.

But, eventually, they had problems because they were not as effective passing the football. Once they faced a team with equal talent on defense, they were not able to overcome it despite adjusting the game plan.

The best teams in the NFL are effective in both running and passing the football. Few teams can be totally one-sided. Both the Saints and Pats are much better offenses now that they can run the football. The Packers got crushed by the Giants when they limited their passing game.

Based on the success of the run game the last few weeks, I think Palmer wanted to focus on the run Sunday against a horrible run defense. The goal was to eat clock, keep a hot Henne on the sideline, take pressure off of Locker, etc. It makes total sense to me. But when the Jags see success limiting the run, the Titans needed to be able to pass the football more and we saw a switch to a more spread offense later in the game. But too many drops, bad passes, miscommunication, etc. limited its effectiveness—especially in the red zone.

So, though I agree the Titans need to have something they do so well on offense, 80% of the league can't stop it even when they game plan to stop it, the Titans don't have the talent/experience to do that right now. They have to be more balanced and be willing to exploit the weakness of their opponents.

It's a Catch 22. Is poor execution due to a bad game plan or is a bad game plan the result of poor execution? I put much more burden on the players to know their assignments and take responsibility for doing their job properly.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Who is available next year for OC?

I would love Munch/Ryan/New OC. I know Rex is a hot head but he is a great DC.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I see it was already mentioned but wanted to re-iterate that this was a Munch decision, not a demand from Bud Adams.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well MM is taking ownership of the decision anyways

6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I think MM got the memo about 2 weeks ago... that he either has to win or he is fired. The next few games will determine whether or not he keeps his job

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Totally agree, I made a comment about this a long time ago. I also think his 'hot head' style you speak of is actually a good complement to Mike's calm demeanor.

You can say a lot about how he has struggled as a HC, but a Rex lead D can be downright scary. In what like 9 years, his D never ranked below 6th (prior to NY), that's pretty damn good!

But i do got a question, doesn't he like the 3-4?? I don't watch any team but the Titans so I really don't know if he still uses it.

I know we talk about it all the time but I don't not sure we're equipped to run it. With the emergence of DM and KW @ DE in our 4-3, I'm not sure I want to change either. Also, our current LBs might be too small and we definitely don't have a NT either, so all this will probably need to be addressed.

Crazy how I'm already talking about schemes even while we still have a DC and he is still a HC in NY.

8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

NY been using the 46 exclusively I believe

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

According to the fake Jake Locker on twitter, Palmer has been dead for 2 weeks.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

explains the Christmas shopping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar