Palmer: Hawkins must make himself viable

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Offensive coordinator Chris Palmer says he’s more than ready to see wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins return to the form he showed during last year’s breakout season. Hawkins has one catch in three preseason games, and he said Sunday that a lingering ankle injury has slowed him.

“From an injury standpoint, I don’t get into that,” Palmer said. “We look at what they do on the field. Obviously he’s not playing as well as he did last year and he’s got to get that squared away. Whatever it is, he’s got to get squared away and make himself a viable contributor to what’s going on right now.”

Hawkins caught 47 passes for 470 yards last season, after posting a combined total of 19 catches for 239 yards in his first three years. But Palmer said last year’s numbers aren’t important in 2012.

“Each year is a new year,” Palmer said. “What you did in the past is in the past. It’s like coaching. I’m fortunate to be back for another year and I hope I can be back next year. You’re evaluated on a yearly basis and what we see on the field will determine how and in what way we’ll use the players.”

What in particular could Hawkins be doing better?

Said Palmer: “I don’t think he’s playing as fast as he has in the past.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Hawk on the hotseat? Who do we have out there that can push him for a roster spot? I thought the Mariani injury locked Hawk into the mix, I guess we'll keep a close eye on the waiver wire..........

3. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

doubt he'll be gone.... but he may be in trouble for next year..

4. pettso

pettso Starter

Said it before, I'll say it again. Hawkins is doodoo.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We've only been saying this forever. Not going to happen.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hawkins is an ok 5th receiver, if Palmer doesn't know this, well IDK.

7. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

I don't understand how Hawkins manages to stick around year after year, and it looks like he will again because of Britt/Mariani's injuries....

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I still don't understand why we gave him that contract...

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Hawkins is not very good.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hawk is a tease. He does something which makes you think he's ready to become the player the Titans thought they were drafting only to blow a route like a rookie.

He did some nice things late last season. It seemed he was beginning to show some consistency. He's got a chance to get a lot of opportunities if Britt is suspended if he comes around soon.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar