Palmer goes upstairs, Ragone goes sideline

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

In all his games as the Titans offensive coordinator before Thursday’s, offensive coordinator Chris Palmer had called plays from the sideline.

But perhaps in an effort to jumpstart a stagnant offense, the Titans switched things up – with Palmer going upstairs to the pressbox and receivers coach Dave Ragone moving down to the sideline.

Titans coach Mike Munchak noted that some other previous Titans offensive coordinators, such as Les Steckel and Norm Chow, had called games from the press box. He then listed so many positives about having the offensive coordinator upstairs that it was easy to wonder why the Titans hadn’t made the move before Thursday.

“You can see things quicker, you don’t have to rely on down and distance (being posted), you see exactly where the ball is,” Munchak said. “You get to see what personnel is running out, if they’re putting a defense on the field, you get to see coverage faster … You can see all those things from the vantage point you have.

“You can see everything. You can see it quickly. There’s nothing hiding up there. It’s like watching film. I’m assuming it helps (Palmer) make quicker decisions on what he wants to do next or exactly how they’re playing a certain coverage or how they’re attacking.”

Munchak feels Ragone’s presence on the sidelines will benefit the team in a different way.

“With Kenny coming back and being healthy and Kendall being a young receiver, it was important to have Dave Ragone, the receiver coach, down there with them for the game,” Munchak said.

Something must have clicked against Pittsburgh, as the Titans’ 26 points were more than they’d scored in four of their previous five contests.

Munchak says he believes the switch will be permanent.

Source: Titans Insider

2. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Ive always said the view from above shows you so much more than any other way of seeing things. Its amazing how much you can see at a game that you miss on TV.

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I have had seats on the 50 yardline 2 rows up from the field, so close I could hear Randy Moss talking. One time I was even lucky enough to watch the entire Titans/Jets game on the sideline right next to the players (although it was on the Jets side). So I have views that are comparable to the coaches, not quite as good, but close.

Every other game I have been to though was up in the nose bleed sections about 2 rows from the very tip top, and honestly I enjoyed sitting up at the top WAY more. You have a view of the whole field. No matter where the players are, you still have a good view. You can see the plays develop. I would definitely think it would be an advantage to the coach to be coaching upstairs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Na$hville

Na$hville Veteran

Glad they are sticking with this

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

the handful of times I have been privilaged too sit in the lower bowl it took a while too adjust too sitting down low. Endzone seats, I sat in the EZ in Memphis and Vanderbilt, are even harder too adjust too. See the blocking excellently and if the goalline plays are on your side then WOW

But overall I like sitting high because as was previously stated you can see the whole play develop and thats pretty real awsome

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

I never really understood why a WR Coach would be away from his players in the first place...

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Palmer knew he was getting bombed with hotdogs if he blew another game from the sidelines. He went upstairs cause he was scared.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar