Pacman Withdraws Appeal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I don't think so.

Week 15; He had 1 punt return for 8 yds.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061217_JAC@TEN

Week 16; He had 1 punt return for -2 yds.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061224_TEN@BUF

Week 17, he did bust one for 81 yds and had another for 20 yds.

Couple that with Week 14 when he had 4 punt returns for a 4 yard average
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061210_TEN@HOU
    and I stand by what I said,
    Teams learned to contain his punt returns.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

possibly... although I don't think a 4 game sample is enough to tell much - especially when he only had 1 chance in 2 of the games. But his DB stats show he was easily one of the best corners in the league last year.

3. Hoffa

It is when you're talking how he was contained at the end of the season.
    4 games = final 25% of the season.

He only had 1 chance because teams had learned to kick away from him and out of bounds, thus containing him.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

scared of him more like it.

5. Hoffa

Same result, containment.

6. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Hoffa, keep believing that if you want to.

First, let's get it out of the way that you have now changed what you originally said. You never stated that you were refering to punts only.

If you mean that they learned to contain him by not kicking to him, then yes, I can go with that. Let's break it down this way:

In the final four games of the season, he had 8 returns. He had three that went for a total of -5 yards. He had 5 for a total of 128 yards and one TD. When 63% of your Punt Returns are for over 25 yards and you score one TD, I don't see that as teams containing him.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this point.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Not at all. By kicking out of bounds, or away from him you're letting the Titans dictate how you play and if there's one thing you don't want it is to let the opponent dictate your play.

Or are you also going to claim we were containing Phillip Rivers by letting LT and Turner run all over us?

8. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

There is a small window of opportunity for the freedom fighters to do their work. We should rendezvous at our normal checkpoint. Additional info is being filtered down from the penthouse as we speak. Beware, though, the Marriotts are always listening.

9. MJTitans

Well, I just meant that the sample size isn't enough to have a true statistical significance... he didn't produce much in the last 4 games, but I could probably find 4 games where Hester was contained, too - doesn't necessarily mean teams have him figured out and he won't break one again... So if you ran a statistical analysis you would most likely find that his stats were well within the standard deviation. And when you kick away from a returner you are typically going to risk kicking it out of bounds and having a shorter net on the punt - which isn't credited to the returner, but it is caused by him.

10. MJTitans

... and the original question was "is he a shutdown corner?", which he clearly is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar