Pacman Withdraws Appeal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Gotta agree with Hoffa here. Adam Jones is contained when the punting team elects to keep the ball away from him. Someone need to figure out the Net Avg in the punts agianst the Titans in the last 4 games to see if in fact this was a sound strategy by the opponents. At first glance I would think it was not successful in that the couple of big returns would have really lowered the net avg punt. Could be wrong though.

As far as "shut down" CB Adam Jones was contained in much the same way he was contained as PR, teams choose to attack Hill and his "rock'em sock'em" robot neck.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

[​IMG]
    excellent BR excellent!

3. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

My link? Go to NFL.com for the stats that I am using.

Perhaps I could have worded that better. Yes, his average for those final four games was better than his average during the season. He led the league in Punt Return average with 12.9 per return. He averaged better than that in the final four games of the season.

I already stated that if you are saying that teams contained him by kicking away from him, I could live with that. But even then, I don't think that is entirely accurate. Here is how the season breaks down by quarter. (Four weeks equals one quarter.)

Weeks 1-4: He had a long Punt Return of 15 yards. He averaged around 7.8 yards per return. He had 7 returns during this quarter.

Weeks 5-8: He had a long of 53 for a TD. He averaged around 11.9 per return. He had 13 returns during this quarter.

Weeks 9-12: He had a long of 90 for a TD. He averaged around 22.75 per return. He had 6 returns during this quarter.

Weeks 13-16: He had a long of 81 for a TD. He averaged around 15.1 per return. He had 8 returns during this quarter.

His best quarter was the third quarter where he had the least amount of returns. He had better numbers in the final quarter than during the second quarter even though teams were "kicking away" from him. He got better in the second half of the season. That much is obvious. He might have peaked in the 3rd quarter of the season, but he still had his second strongest quarter in the final quarter.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well it doesn't take a football genius to know that point of a return man isn't to score a TD on every touch, but to gives his team the best possible field position. If the return man is so good that the opponent decides to give up yards by kicking it out of bounds or pooch kicking it, he's already done his job perfectly.

And that's why my analogy makes sense, to show that you have it backwards. Our opponents didn't "contain" Pacman, rather we were dictating them to give up the long kicks.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

:drool:

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

vigsted is right.

Punters kicking the ball oob is a win for Pacman and the Titans. Better field position, no chance of a turnover (with Pacman's prone to muffing) and no chance of an injury.

7. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

When teams are kicking out of bounds to avoid the return man, you are usually getting better field position. So even if he did not touch the ball, he had a positive effect on the game, which would not show in stats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar