Pacman Suspended entire season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Its not that unreliable either. Depends on what you are looking up.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Goodell has handled this in typical NFL fashion.

The nature of the college system & it's competitive win at all costs route to pro sports means that there will always be a steady stream of athletes with problems coming into the league.

While Adam has had plenty of guidance on what's acceptable behaviour & what's not, for these type of guys such methods are clearly not enough. Young cocky & suddenly wealthy compounds the problem.

The current trend to give players upfront bonus money takes away their leverage with problem players.The league & the owners have it in their power to be pro active on ensuring players but these guys are out there on their own.

The new policy changes nothing for those about to be drafted. Every bad apple amongst the 700 or so guys about to be drafted this year will believe he can beat the system.

How is instructing Henry & Jones to keep away from the respective organizations supposed to help them to change. The easy out is to roll with the thugs while they're suspended from playing.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege & not a right is a nice little sound bite but it's a corporate bullying tactic. They are an organization that don't want their image to get dirty but they aren't prepared to get hands on about keeping it clean.

Where are the counseling program's & support groups? Some people can't be helped but the NFL doesn't have anything positive in place to give help when it's needed. All they offer is a big stick once the damage has been done.

I'm very dis-appointed with the powers that be right now.:irked:

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Which exemplifies my point. The league has abdicated the court of law's authority and empowered the court of public opinion (which is media generated) and league official perceived incidents that "tarnish the shield" to inflict REAL financial damages on a player. They have set a new precedent that is very dangerous and difficult to consistently and equitably enforce. Expect trouble with it. It's coming. (see prior posts)

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The NFL is making these guys take counseling, and like Chad Johnson was saying yesterday, when you come into the league you have a 3 day seminar about all of this type of stuff. The NFL isnt a babysitter and is under no obligation to hold these guys hands through life. They offer plenty of support, if a player doesnt use that to his advantage it is the players fault, and only the players fault.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The public having an opinion on something or someone isnt a crime. Unless you can find examples of where the NFL and media slandered Jones, then the NFL isnt responsible for how you or I view a player.

Its the leauges fault, its the medias fault, when the hell does it ever become Pac Man's fault?

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Ok, so I'm quoting this again, I thought I'd show you in the history page when that little bit was added: Link it was added today, I'm sure it'll be gone soon. Also, if you look when it was originally added the guy who put it in said it occured on Nov 12, 2007, apparently he can see the future, the next edit changed it to 2006, if anyone else notices what's fishy about it, it supposedly occured after our game in Oakland, we didn't play Oakland this year, and haven't played in Oakland with Pac on the roster. I know you said you doubted the truth of it, but I'm just using this to show that Wikipedia is far from a valid source for most things, especially someone like Pacman that has enough people that hate him.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Thats all fine and good. Chris Mortenson did say last nite that there are possibly as many as 15 incidents Pac has been involved in according to the players association. And since we didnt hear about this Georgia deal until a year later, it is quite possible. Mortenson didnt go into detail at all, but no one is acknowledging the fact that the NFLPA and Goodell know more about this than we do, and it is quite possible they have no interest in making it all public.

8. Riverman

You don't get what I'm saying. Clearly if Pac did something it is Pac's fault. Nobody is excusing his accountability. But is he guilty of something because the media reported it? Obviously not. Does it make him innocent of it because the media reported it? Obviously not.

My point is that the NFL no longer recognizes/utilizes the court of law as a standard and precedent for punishment. The league has usurped that authority and now under the mantra of "protect the shield" utilizes the court of public opinion and the perception of league officials to administer the policy. The media factors into this because of its influence to shape public opinion.

So I'll ask again- where does it end? Can it be equitably enforced? We'll see when the first player who is in relatively good public opinion (like Tom Brady) does something irrelevant of the law (like fathering 2 illegitimate children in 2 years with 2 different mothers) that could subjectively be interpreted to "tarnish the shield". I'm certain harsher, more damaging examples of inequity are forthcoming. Will Goodell and league be so adamant to go after these guys? We'll see.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

When has the NFL ever utilized the court of law? This is where I dont agree with you. You keep trying to look at this through the eyes of the legal system. This is not a legal matter, it is a company-employee matter, which is no where near as cut and dry as the law.

Do you suggest the media not cover the NFL anymore? Only cover games, but no analysis since analysis is opinion? Not cover players off the field? When Eli, Peyton, McNair, etc helped out after Katrina should that have not been covered since it helped sway a public opinion of these guys? Or should only the good be covered, but not the negative? Not cover the league in the offseason at all? If the media is lieing and slandering players, I agree with you. If they are reporting details with no lies, then you have no case.

Tom Brady's situation was very much covered by the media. But no, having a child should not be punished by the league. And to keep it straight, he only has one child on the way, not 2. And though there is certainly some gray area here, you cannot possibly be serious about bring up Brady having a child. Pac is on probation ya know, which means he has been convicted of somethings, and he did violate league policy. So, unless you can find where Brady did that, then your comparison is ridiculous.

10. Riverman

Brady reportedly has 2 girls pregnant.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272612024.shtml

I give up trying to get you to understand what I'm saying. I've wasted enough space and other readers times "re-posting" the same idea in different forms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar