Pacman On TV Again

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A.D., May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You and your false prophets...

We all know the true prophet is DeRon Jenkins...

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]
    "I AM NOT A ROLE MODEL"

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

or Inanimate objects such as Toasters. :ha:

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]
    :suspect:

6. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

Hey everbody let's give it up for towley.:applause:

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Without a doubt. But that ain't the way it works.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

BIPOLAR is my role model :thumb:

Better be on your best behaviour now, BP :lol:

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

IMO, fans make a mistake when they invest themselves personally, emotionally in professional ATHLETES or ENTERTAINERS. They have achieved a level of "greatness" as a skilled athlete, singer, actor, etc and HAVE NOT achieved "greatness" as a professional MORAL or ETHICAL icon.

Personally, I do not hold any professional ATHLETE or ENTERTAINER to any obligation to be anything other than what they achieved their "greatness" in. I don't pay them to be a "solid citizen", I pay them to perform what they have been trained in. IMO, it's not right for ME (and fans collectively) to judge or malign them because the ATHLETE/ENTERTAINER'S personal code of behavior doesn't jibe with what I feel is correct. I strongly feel it is presumptous to "judge" them for this reason.

Just because they are successful in a skill that promotes them into the limelight DOES NOT obligate them to behave personally to match the standards. Heck, you can't please everybody anyway. If someone is dissatisfied with the ATHLETE/ENTERTAINER'S personal behavior they should stop supporting them with jersey/ticket etc. sales and they will fade out of the spotlight.

FIGHT ON PAC MAN!

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I fully agree. But that isn't very realistic when a player is a key part of the team you are invested in. I don't know how fun it would be to be a fan of any team without wanting to connect with the players on that team.

Yet they do have influence over many; especially kids. These guys don't have the maturity yet and are influenced by a number of different things.

But what about when you were 10? You don't point to an athlete and say "he's my role model" but you find you listen to just about anything the athlete says or does. If you didn't do that as a child, then you are among the minority.

I don't think it's even worth debating. Professional athletes influence most kids. With that comes an obligation, IMO.

I won't judge an athlete if he doesn't place himself in a situation where he clearly wants to be "a voice", influence, role model, etc. I chalk 99% of Pacman's issues to being a rich young man who has some growing up to do mentally. But once he takes that step to becoming a role model, then that carries with it responsibilities. And those include his actions even when he isn't wearing the "role model" hat.

It does when they reach out to become a role model as Pacman obviously has. Mixed messages creates confusion. The old "don't do what I do but do what I say" statement comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar