Pacman Appeal Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We can't know what Underwood and the Titans may be doing behind the scenes.

2. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

3. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

Jeff, I agree. I don't think the Titans really want him around at the moment. I think the no reporting of the GA mess really hurt whatever small amount of credibility he had left with Coach Fisher. Personally, I hope he comes back sooner than later, but I really do think Roger has it in for him.

4. Haynesworth92

Haynesworth92 Fat Albert

The thing is, if the Vegas event never happened, there wouldn't have been a suspension at all, and he hasn't been charged with anything at all for that. Pac shouldn't have more than a 4 game suspension.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

That's a good point. Wasn't that the only thing that happened this offseason with him? He had the possible altercation at a nightclub in October and then nothing until Vegas. And I'm sorry - with all the camera phones and security video and witnesses there... and they can't tie him to the shooter? I thought he was guilty of something when the story broke, but now I am very doubtful.

Here's his rap sheet:
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070411/SPORTS01/704110472/1027

FEBRUARY 2007 - Vegas: looking like a non-incident.
    OCTOBER 2006 - Nashville nightclub: cited for misdemeanor assault and spitting... dismissed in court
    AUGUST 2006 - Murfreesboro nightclub: public drunkenness and disorderly conduct: one of the few charges that had any merit, judge ruled they could be dropped only with 6 months of good behavior.
    APRIL 2006 - Nashville - Jones was a witness to a shooting at a gas station.
    APRIL 2006 - Nashville - Jones loans his car to a drug dealer.
    MARCH 2006 - Georgia - Jones caught smoking marijuana in his car outside his mom's house. His charges were dropped, but his mom was prosecuted.
    FEBRUARY 2006 - Georgia - charged with felony obstruction after becoming confrontational with police who approached him in his car outside his girlfriend's house.
    JULY 2005 - Nashville nightclub: charged with two counts of misdemeanor assault and a felony count of vandalism... charges were dropped at the request of the owners who initiated them.
    JUNE 2005 - Nashville hotel: hotel was having trouble getting Jones to clear the room after checkout time... marijuana was found in the room
    APRIL 2005 - Atlanta stripclub: Jones is named on an incident report after a fight breaks out.

So without Vegas, Jones is a kid with a short temper who needs to lay off the marijuana. For all the dropped charges and non-charges, it sounds to me like all his altercations and violent behavior stem from his inability to handle himself properly when provoked. I mean in all 10 incidents, only 2 appear to be serious and have legs to me (obstruction in GA outside his mom's house, and public drunkenness in Murf.). The rest can certainly be chalked up to "he needs to make better decisions and find some new friends", but hardly deserving of such a harsh punishment.

Here's my suggestion for Goodell: 8 games with the possibility to reduce to 6. Allowed to participate in a limited fashion with the team (to reduce the likelihood of injury on returning). Required to go into drug rehab. And a condition that the next incident gets him kicked out of the league - no excuses or appeals. That's still tough, but it also accomplishes what Goodell wants, which is a chance to turn his life around instead of push him further down.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'd agree with the need for a reduced sentence, but I don't think it's likely. As TJ and several others have mentioned, Goodell can't afford to back down and look soft. He's in a risky position. He'd strengthen his position on all fronts by laying out a harsh suspension of Vick, but I doubt that's coming very soon.

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

This was talked about on the radio but I haven't seen it elsewhere. They
    (104.5) mentioned that Jones is not attending the weekly meetings that he is suppose to attend. They said that is what will keep his suspension at the full time. If he can't do something that simple that then how can the Goodell reduce his suspension. Jones has to attempt to change, if not he will be out this yr.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

A Vick suspension AINT gonna happen without or until a conviction. It's about money- plain and simple. Pac wasn't given the "right" of a court conviction that Chris Henry, Tank Johnson, and apparently Vick are going to get because he is a smaller market player that was not a fan or media favorite. He never sold alot of jerseys and was never the face of franchise. He didn't play in a super bowl.

I see Pac suing if his sentence isn't reduced. Goodell (and the league) really doesn't have a leg to stand on in a civil suit. I've been surprised before- but I don't see how he doesn't reduce the games significantly AND get rid of the "stay from the facility" stipulations.

The league has deeper pockets if it went to a civil suit- but that would be an incentive for a bigger firm to go after them.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I would hardly consider guys like Henry and Tank Johnson as media or fan favorites, and I wouldnt consider Cincinatti a big market. And plus, Pac does have a conviction and violation of 2 league rules. What you just said isnt accurate.

But Clayton on ESPN did say he thought Vick's punishment would be handed down in 08, after the investigation and possible trial are over.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

of course :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar