Packers Tell Favre He Can Stay... As a Backup

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

06, but yes. I forgot about that. That is the only major injury he has had in college or the pros.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I read your post and this is bunk. He's not being held hostage. He is a football player under contact. Whether he is a "living legend" or not does not mean he gets to demand the Packers release him so he can play elsewhere.

Wrong. The Packers have every right to do what they please with a player they have under contract. It's no different than any other player under contract in the league. Why is Farve so special he can ask to have something no one else can demand?

Totally wrong. Give me an example of ANY team who had allowed a player's release just because he asked for it. Good luck.

Farve is an employee under contact. He needs to play out his contract or retire. If the Packers decide to trade him, so be it.

3. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

This is probably unrelated, but did the Dolphins get anything for Junior Seau when he came out of retirement to play for the Patriots? Or had he already been released prior to the retirement anyway?

4. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

TJ makes good points, but that is looking at it from the coaches/ownership side.

This is not a good situation at all because somebody will be hurt in the end.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Seau was released by the Fins.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I was surprised listening to ESPN Radio yesterday. Many callers from Wisconsin and ALL were of the opinion that Favre had the right to change his mind, and gives the Packers the best chance to win the superbowl, and that Green Bay should definately take him back and start him, no questions asked.

Maybe he gives them a better chance to win the superbowl, I dunno.

But it's no right that Favre disrupted the Packers offseason like this. When he retired, it effected their cap and draft strategy. If I were a fan of the pack, I wouldn't be so forgiving of those facts, just because Favre changed his mind a few months later.

Anyway this is spun, I think Favre has handled this horribly and with little respect for the organization that's made him a multi-millionaire and superbowl champion.

I will say this, in a terrible situation, Aaron Rodgers is saying all the right things.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-rodgers071308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

7. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I would hate to be Aaron Rodgers right now.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

There was a pretty decent point on PFT this morning... The packers have said that Favre can come back and win his spot, but he has to actually show up and do it. Rodgers was there all through mini camps and they've changed the offense to suit him. If Favre can come back and show that he can run it better, he'll get the job, but if he doesn't, they won't just hand it to him.

My main problem is that Favre shouldn't be able to use his retirement as a ploy to get his team to trade him. The packers have every right to keep him and use him as best they can. Farve doesn't earn the right to play for another team until he finishes out his contract with the packers. Don't forget that he's already been paid bonuses to cover future years, running away now is cheating that contract.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'm really starting to dislike Favre now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar