Our DEs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I've watched every play on D this year closely from recordings, and KVB isn't always gettin doubled nor is that the reason why LaBoy has had any success. Some of each guys success has been helped by other guys, and that's the case a lot of the time for any team. Al helps make a lot of plays that the stats don't count. Same for bringing more pressure than a team can block for, someone will come away with the credit, but they didn't do it all themselves.

LaBoy has made some plays on his own. He's definitely improved in the run game and has always hussled. He still seems to be slow to react sometimes, like the game is still not coming to him as much on instinct as it should by now. I think he can improve some more. Odom has shown flashes, but has been less consitent. But there's hope for him too.

But if KVB isn't back, DE could be near the top of the needs list.

2. Woody81

Woody81 Camp Fodder

I like the DE corps for next year if KVB is brought back. I think adding a pass rushing vet or mid round rook to push Odom, Laboy and Schobel could help. Or may be they could just steal a roster spot like KVB did.

3. 2toneblue77

2toneblue77 Guest

Fisher said on his show tonight that they are definately trying to lock KVB up before free agency starts. I hope they do.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think the Titans will be able to keep him unless KVB agrees to something based more on incentives or some kind of two-tiered bonus.

The same issues which surrounded Kearse come into play here. I think KVB would be nuts to not test the market. And who would blame him?

5. maximus

maximus Starter

If KVB stays, we're okay on the DL. Odom and Schnobel need to step it up. Both have done very little this year, while LaBoy is looking good and making plays. If we can keep the same line as this year and they improve on their play of this year as well, PacMan and Reynaldo continue to improve, and our safeties and LBs play good, we could have a descent defense next year.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

But Kearse was considered an elite DE, KVB can't be after 1 year. What are the same issues? Maybe someone will covet him too much and overpay? We should have more money to tie him up with if they decide to, unlike with Kearse. But I wouldn't blame KVB for taking the bigger paycheck if it's offered elsewhere.

7. Joe Z.

Joe Z. Guest

The thing that strikes me about KVB, unlike just about every other good-elite DE in the league, is that he is extremely humble, and takes nothing for granted. I also recall him saying that Wash has been the best coach he's ever had, and helped him fine-tune his overall game and technique.

That's why I like our chances of keeping him; we have more to offer than just a bunch of money. The longer that Washburn coaches him, the better he will get.

8. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I would hate KVB with a passion if he left for somewhere else to get an insane amount of money that he isn't worth. Without us, he'd be nothing. He still isn't as good as his numbers claim, but he could become great with more time under Washburn, who is arguably the best DLine coach in the NFL. As for who I'd like to pair up with KVB, it'd have to be Elvis Dumervil. Dumervil is a bit of a tweener, but under Washburn and a NFL workout programm, he could be the next Freeney.

9. Joe Z.

Joe Z. Guest

He's also already the unquestioned leader of that line. He goes somewhere else, he has to start all over again.

KVB just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who listens to agent speak and goes after the best offer.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The difference between KVB and Kearse IMO is that Kearse was paid the big bucks based on what he did before the injury. KVB is performing after the injuries. It is always a risk anytime you open up the pocket book and pay out the big bucks but KVB's best years could easily be ahead of him instead of behind him. Certainly KVB will not command the same kind of money Kearse got with only one good year under his belt but in alot of ways I feel more confident paying him a decent contract. Kearse was never the same after his injury. KVB also plays the run well which Kearse does not.

Reese has to balance the fact that without KVB we still have a sizable hole to fill at DE. If we draft high in the first we use up a draft pick and still have to pay out a decent contract at that position. If we can get KVB for similar money as a first round pick we get a proven player at a critical position for the defense and still have the draft pick to fill another need. The success of this team over the next 4 years could hinge on keeping KVB IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar