Our 2009 D-Line

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

At first, I though this was an area that we were 'good' at. After reading Saturdays Tennessean, I can see some problems.
    With Fat Albert gone, more pressure will be going to the DEs on this line as well as all the postions on this line. Is Kearse and KVB going to last a full season?
    Both are coming off injuries from 2008. Neither is getting any younger. With the added attention they will get with Fat Alberts absence, will they hold up?
    Without Fat Al, the DE's will be counted on for more pass rushes. Without the pass rush, teams will be trying down field more.
    Kearse will be trying to retain his Freak nickname because of his contract standings, but I'm not sure he'll pull it off.
    Can Jacob Ford step in at either side as a <u>starter</u> if Kearse or KVB go out with injuries? What if both go out? Dave Ball?
    Looking into the future of our DEs, who would be our DEs in 2010?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The strength of Haynesworth was getting pressure up-the-middle. You can generally take three-step drops and get the ball out before the DE can get to the QB but, if that pressure is coming up the middle, it's going to disrupt the timing of even the quick slants.

I'm less concerned about stopping the run but Haynesworth would also move bodies, clog running lanes and give other players the ability to fill a gap and make the tackle. The Titans don't have anyone with the speed, size and strength combination Haynesworth has but few teams do.

I think the Titans will find a way to keep KVB. Hayes and/or Ford should be ready to step in and start opposite him. I don't think Kearse is on the squad in '10. Ball is quality depth and might be who they plug in on running downs.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I would hate to see the 2010 Titans without Kearse, and Vanden Bosch. We know the plan for replacing Haynesworth will be to use more guys and keep them fresh. Our 99-2003 D-line was by a combination of 7 guys, and that worked well.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Let's face it... In 2010 we're going to lose around 5 or 6 starters... Mawae, Harper, Bulluck, KVB, Kearse...

We better have a damn fine offseason and sign some high end free agents if we want a chance at the playoffs that year.

If the "experts" don't see us making noise this year, only God knows what they'll be saying next year.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm really not very concerned. Yes, the defense will adjust to not having Haynesworth. However, he wasn't on the field every play anyway, and I think our overall depth will improve. There are a LOT of pieces to our d-line. Jones, Hayes, Marks, Ford- all young guys with plenty of potential. At least Jones and Ford have shown solid flashes. Haye is another good addition, though we don't know for sure how valuable he'll be. Ball was a very nice surprise last season, he's at least a solid number three if we lose a starter to injury.

The biggest adjustment is losing the force that is Haynesworth, and having to adjust.

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

While I don't see Jason Jones 'moving' people back like Al did, I do see him being quite the disruptive force. He seems to have a knack for getting into the backfield in a hurry, whether it's from moving a guy back or squeezing in between them. I see him becoming enough of an attention commander that will leave opposing O lines to decide on which one to double team, Jones or Vanden Bosch.

Look, we know KVB commands a double team. We also know that Kearse (even in his current form), will burn just one blocker. Jason Jones I also feel will be commading double teams. You can't double team all of them, short of a max protect formation.

With this D line change, I think our secondary is going to have more opportunites to shine, and will take full advantage.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm scared and excited. I'm scared that losing AH is going to make us a lot weaker against the run, and blitzing the QB from the end position. Im excited because we have a new coordinator that might be less vanilla, which should be rewarding!

8. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

There's a 6'5" 305lb tackle on the roster that no one seems to remember......Kevin Vickerson.

He may become a factor in the middle and stopping the run.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

You're right about Kevin. Hopefully the opposing offenses will forget about him to!
    The idea of throwing fresh bodies in there at tackle may be our answer. No sooner does the offense gets used to one persons style, we pull him out and throw something entirely different at them. It might be what we need to replace FAt Albert.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

There's a 6'5" 305 lb tackle that was suspended 4 games for using a banned substance and no one seems to remember that. ;)

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar