Our 2008 wideout class

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 6, 2008.

?

Grade the 08 Wideout class

Poll closed Jul 16, 2008.
  1. An A. They look solid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B. Some more work, but these guys are good.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. C. These guys are 50/50. Nothing proven.

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  4. D.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. F. Throw in the towel on this class.

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

when i said "come back" i meant for a year. i mean, would he rather go somewhere for a year or two and have to learn another qb's tendencies and another coordinator's system or would he come back here for an opportunity to gain some value. AND if we don't like what we see in camp we cut him and lose out on a small signing bonus instead of an entire year's salary.

besides, we don't have many of our guys locked up past this year anyway. mccariens and m. williams are on one year deals and i think ealy would be an exclusive rights FA.

2. reo

reo Starter

But would you want to do that for a guy that's had one average season since he's been here? And the only reason he got the starting spot last year was b/c Moulds was old as dirt, Jones got hurt and Davis kept fumbling. He beat out a raw rookie in PW and an old vet in Moulds but he got outplayed by Gage.

Sure, PUP him and if he's not ready by the end of that or if we don't need him then put him on IR and let him walk after the season.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I would agree that Jones' main problem is consistency. However, I think a significant part of that has been due to injury. I think he's shown enough progress/potential in the times when he hasn't been injured to expect him to beat out Paul Williams, who may only be a second year, but who still hasn't shown any indication that he could do anything for us yet, while Jones has. You talk about the excuses for why Roydell got a starting spot last year, but Paul Williams had the same opportunity and couldn't beat him out for it then. Yes, his first year, but if he was consistently beaten out by Roydell, it doesn't say a lot about his potential. Yes, we're all impressed that Mike Williams managed to lose 30 pounds (it wasn't a short amount of time, by the way, it was at least a 6-7 month period), but that weight loss doesn't mean that he's going to be able to stick with it in the NFL. He's always a guy that has had natural ability, we'll see if he can put it all together, (and I really hope that he does), but I wouldn't say that he's more likely to make it than someone who has already produced for the team.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'm not expecting much out of these guys, but I'm hoping for the best.

5. reo

reo Starter

this is an odd statement. you seem to notice that it was his first year but then completely shrug it off. he was drafted as a project. he wasn't expect to beat out anyone last year. sure YOU or I haven't seen much from him but he's been showing some stuff in minicamps so far from what i've read and heard.

6-7 months?? you do realize that he was out of shape in mid january? and the first articles started popping up w/ the first mini camps in april and early may? that's 4-5 months and losing 30 lbs in that amount of time is impressive. i was actually thinking it was around 3 months but looked and couldn't find the first articles that came out about him.

and btw, as i stated, i'm not basing this just off him losing the weight.

6. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I agree with reo, that unless B Jones lights it up in training camp, he will get cut. Davis will get cut as well.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think unless one of the other guys gets hurt, jones is gone regardless. that's the way we approached calico's last preseason with us.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No, I don't believe that at all. Dinger will rotate the WRs throughout camp. Jones will have as many opportunities as anyone else.

Over Jones? I don't think so though I hope they are all improved.

9. reo

reo Starter

You don't get what I'm saying. Jones' problem is inconsistency. The only way he can prove that he can be consistent is by going out there in games and being consistent but since he's fallen so far down the depth chart, he won't get the chance in games to prove that he can be consistent. You can't prove it in shorts in camp. Consistency is proven during the season in games. Imo he won't get that chance.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I get what you're saying and disagree. Jones will get work throughout camp and the preseason games. If he out-performs the other players, he'll be on the field when the regular season begins.

Are you saying that if Jones outperforms every other WR on the roster in training camp and the preseason that Dinger won't give him a shot just because of a few drops LAST season?

And tell me which WRs on the team has shown consistency besides Gage (who didn't start the year very consistent either)? McCareins was awful last season. Davis ran bad routes. RW had his share of the dropsies last season as well. You say MW and PW should make the team but neither has shown consistency even in PRACTICE. Ealy hasn't been on the field much either so no one know whether or not he'll be consistent when it counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar