Our 2008 wideout class

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 6, 2008.

?

Grade the 08 Wideout class

Poll closed Jul 16, 2008.
  1. An A. They look solid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B. Some more work, but these guys are good.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. C. These guys are 50/50. Nothing proven.

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  4. D.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. F. Throw in the towel on this class.

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

WR- Justin Gage, Roydell Williams, Justin McCareins, Mike Williams, Lavelle Hawkins, Biren Ealy, Brandon Jones. I'm thinking that these are the guys that will make the roster.
    What would you grade this class on an 'A' to 'F' scale?
    It is my thinking that the QB is in most part responsible for how good or bad the Wideout class is. Randy Moss is only as good as the QB that's trying to locate him in traffic and delivering the ball on traget. On the same note, if there's no RB threat, the defense is going to center on the QB forcing him into making choices faster.
    I believe that Vince Young has not matured in to the QB that he can be, that we want him to be ....... yet. Our RB class consists of very young talent all resting on the shoulders of LenDale White.
    With all things aside, I'm giving the class a 'B'. I think these guys would shine under a top notch QB.

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Well, IMO our offensive struggles all started with the terrible playcalling of Chow. It also compounded when VY's scrambling ability was diminished because of the injury, and then when LenWhale played the whole year on one knee. Add that to a lack of top notch WRs, and offense was bound to struggle.

That said, I expect Dinger to raise VY's passer rating 15 points to about an 86. CJ, a healthy LenWhale, VY scrambling, and maybe even Chris Henry will build up to a very healthy running game. Our WRs will also benefit from the added prescence of Alge Crumpler. I'll give our crop a C+, that upgrades to a B- when Roydell recovers.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

when talking about our WR core, i think of this lewis black quote:

"which bowl of **** smells worse?"

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I echo that in the respect that everything we have seen thus far has been under Chow where presently we are going to be moving ahead with a more vertical approach to the passing game. Do recall that last year occasionally when the Titans were down the playcalling would be shaken up and the routes all of a sudden got deeper. The Titans passing game was much better when Chow was in desperation mode. That being said I don't see any real fair way to grade these guys. The offense will be completely different. What I do expect is that the Titans receivers will surpass all expectations regardless of how low they may be.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Kind of like Billy Volek said, no one was going to succeed with Chow's offense. :ha: Sorry, i had to throw that in there.

What makes me worried, maybe sad I dunno, is that if Vince doesn't progress much in the passing game, the Titans could give up on him. He could go down as a bust. And I'm left wondering, why even draft a QB in the first round if you aren't going to get him a true playmaking target. Crumpler is the best Vince has ever had to work with. But he's a TE.

It's not that our WRs are so bad, but we need someone that at least could scare defenses a little, maybe draw occasional double teams.

We have serviceable WRs, but no standouts. I think it should of been addressed last offseason or this offseason.

All we can do now is believe in Fisherball, and I truly hope Vince has more of those amazing 2006 runs.

6. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

No matter how bad VY is this year, he will get at least one more year to prove he can be a franchise QB. He has shown enough flashes of greatness to warrant that.

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

^ I'm going to have to side with reo on that one. I don't see Roydell making the team if he isn't PUP'd.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Roydell is going to make it. Davis and M. Williams are gone.

9. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Roydell is not going to make it. He's lost some speed and agility with the ankle. He'll be useless in Dinger's O. And who cares what he did last year. Dinger has said everyone is starting with a clean slate. If he can't get on the field then he won't make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar