Origin of "Fisherball"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan_Cam, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

I'm a pretty new Titan's fan, relatively speaking. I moved to Nashville in 2003, went to my first game with a coworker in 2004 and really got into the team during the 2005 season.

I'm fully aware of what Fisherball is, but can someone tell me when the term first started being used? Has Fisher really coached this way for 16 years? Was his coaching philosophy any different back with the Oilers?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Fisherball originated back in 1906 a week before the forward pass was invented. Fisher hasn't always coached this way, over the years he's progressively gotten worse.

• High Five High Five x 9
  3. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

I think the term sorta spurred off of schottkyball, because it's similar stylistically to fisherball. I might be wrong though.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

the -"ball" is just a way of saying a coach likes to play defense, run the ball, manage the clock, and make plays on special teams rather than take risks in the passing game.

Beamer-ball
    Schotty-ball
    Fisher-ball

are all the same philosophy. Was this answer helpful?

5. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

Well played sir! That one had me LOLing! :ha:

6. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Not as helpful as your sig pic. A picture is worth 1000 words :ha:

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

I don't know when it was coined, but I became a fan of this team the year they came to Nashville, I guess that makes me a bandwagon fan, but anyway, I hadn't heard it personally until around '03 I believe.

Fisherball was exciting back when we had Steve & Eddie, not so much now though.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I've always hated our offensive philosophy dating back to 1999. The difference back in those days was that we force feed it on teams. Now with finesse players, we usually just puke something up that sometimes generates a 1st down here and there.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm the same way and I certainly don't consider myself bandwagon fan.

10. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

There's no such thing as Fisherball. Since the Colts have had their 1st ballot Hall of Fame, 4 time MVP QB in 1998 Indy has averaged 416 points a season. In 2003, the only season Fisher has had an MVP "type" season at QB(AKA a QB that throws the ball really well) the Titans scored 435 points. McNair shared the MVP with Manning that season and Mannings season was statistically superior but McNair won a lot of votes with his toughness and continuation of the 2002 season.

So, It's painfully obvious that if Fisher had Manning since '98 instead of the guys he's had the Titans offense would be as prolific as the Colts over the past decade. Heck, Fishers Titans outscored the Colts "Manning era" average in 2003 with QB numbers that would be a bad season for Manning. Its been done before, you're a fool if you still think a Titans offense with Manning wouldn't be the exact same thing the Colts have had.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar