Opinions...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Still though, I really don't think a RT merits first round consideration since we won't necessarily get a large upgrade over what we have already. I think the pick is better spent elsewhere (DE/WR).

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

If you took a D of all avg players and got to add a top 5 pick at any position, there are only 2 that vault the defense above the rest and that is a dominant DT and a dominant DE. The better of the 2 all things being equal is a dominant DE (or pass rushing OLB for a 3-4 D). Case in point...Shawn Merriman.

Despite spending 2 first rnd picks on CB and spending a pretty penny on Hope, our secondary is dismal. A dominant DE can help that dramatically.

I would NOT spend a top 10 pick on a RT. The best RT usually goes around 15-20 range depending on if he has a CHANCE to play LT in the Pros. Forget about a LT cause if he's any good, he'll go top 15 (more likely top 10) and we don't need to spend that kind of jack on a RT. From what I'm seeing of Roos, we don't need another LT.

Please name me any second year QB (besides Marino) that vaulted the offense to new heights drafting a top 5 WR? Plus, as much as I like VY, he needs a lot of work on his throwing technique. Better to improve the rushing attack (better blocking) and protection for VY as well as build a championship caliber D. We can draft a top notch WR the following year if we need to. There are just as many productive WR's drafted outside the 1st rnd as there have been drafted IN the first rnd lately.

The best OG won't be taken 'til late first early second (same with OC). The best DE will be a top 10 pick for sure. Keep in mind though that if we really stink it up record-wise, there is a chance we could land a lot of picks trading down even a few spots so someone can grab a Quin.

And stop talking to me about Calvin Johnson til we see him run a 40.

Gut

3. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

40 times are overrated. He can run a 4.5 and he still won't make it out of the top 3 picks.

Besides, it's not blazing speed that makes him what he is. It's his size, body control, leaping ability, hands, work ethic, and better than average speed. The exact same things that make Larry Fitzgerald what he is.

Some will point to Mike Williams, but it wasn't Mike's abilities that failed him. He's immature, continually showed up late to meetings and practices, was lazy, and refused to drop weight. He got in the doghouse and he's never coming out. He's only started 4 games.

4. 40 speed and game speed are a lot different and game speed is all that matters

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'm not too worried about CJ's 40, and I don't think it'll be great. What you see of the guy is not really a speed game, but an all around excellent game.

As much as I'd rather have a DE, I wouldn't reach for one and pass on CJ if CJ rates as a better player (and no trade down is possable). Just from what I've seen, CJ would probably rate higher than any DE this year. Maybe any player period.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Who had the fastest 40 time, Harrison or Calico and who would you want on your team?

I'm torn between DE and S in the first round. I guess it depends entirely on who is deemed to be BPA. In the second I'd look for the position we didn't pick in the first or maybe a CB. 3rd round would be a great place to pick up a guard or center.

I don't think we need a RT for other than depth.

7. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Anquan Boldin ran a 4.68 (or something like that) in his Pre-draft 40. Raise your hand if you would want that guy on our team right now....That's what I thought. 40 times don't mean that much; I just want a WR with HANDS!

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

"Eli Manning, projected to be the first overall pick in April, said he was working hard down in Florida on his 40-yard-dash techniques, but would not run until March at the New Orleans Saints facility. As a football personality who spent 12-hour days in the RCA Dome, I understand why team officials might want to see him compete, but I also understand the other side of the logic not to compete. As one prominent agent said to me this week when I asked him if his top clients were working out in Indy, he said 'no, and for two big reasons: Domanick Davis and Anquan Boldin'. Both of those young players last year felt they had to do everything at the combine so they participated and they ran slow. Their draft status was damaged in the eyes of club officials with the slow times.

Why take a slow player when you can take a fast player? Maybe because the "slower" player is a better football player? Davis ran a 4.62, which is a bit too slow for an elite running back. Boldin ran an awful 4.72, which is snails pace for a wide receiver. Of course, both players went on to have excellent rookie seasons in the NFL. Davis ran for 1,031 yards and eight touchdowns as the top rookie running back in the league for Houston and Boldin caught 101 passes for 1,377 yards and eight touchdowns. Their football production far outweighed their 40-yard times, but Davis was drafted in the fourth round and Boldin went in the second round.

They lost a significant amount of money on draft day and most agents I spoke with put the initial blame on the 40-yard dash at the combine."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7095858

9. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

Boldin, I think, had some type of leg injury when he ran his 40. I could be wrong because I'm going completely off of memory, but I think that's right. Either way, he still wouldn't have been fast had he been healthy, probably in the 4.5s

10. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

Fa

I would also think that who is available in FA would be a big factor here as well. I would say De is top priority, but I hope that we can get that in FA. Then I think it depends on how high we are drafting. We still have a tough schedule, so we lose any ties...

If we can take care of DE in FA then I think we probably go WR, though I wouldnt rule out either Peterson, S, or CB.

Again i think it depends on who is available in FA. I also think it depends on how well Thompson and Hilll do the rest of the season. Remeber, these guys are still fairly young too, so we also have to factor in their development as well as their performance.

so basically I see it as wide open, but I leand WR.. just because we have a strong need for a go to guy. FA hasnt been kind to us. And Other needs can probably be filled elsewhere, in a strong way. I would say it most depends on if they think they can get a stand out DE.. if not, then its probably a no brainer.

but thats just my opinion, anyway

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar