Onside kick

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by meekmode, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Yea the math is pretty clear that you should go for onside kicks more often, especially if the team isn't expecting it. Any other arguments like "they have a good offense and our pass D is bad" or "momentum" is just subjective.

2. rekirts

rekirts Starter

'

you mean like the saints vs the colts in the superbowl?

3. RTH

RTH Meh...

You'd have a point if the Saints' defense wasn't really good.

Also... final game of the season versus first.

4. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Bottomline you don't attempt an onside kick at the beginning of the game against a high power offense unless you KNOW that you have a top defense, which we obviously don't.

Nobody was matching up against the colts O that year. Saints D was better then it is now but not to match up against the colts.

and first/final game is just subjective crap that fans say. Has nothing to do with the #s. Why would that matter?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

Looks at it this way.....we scored after that and it was 7-7. It's like it never happened. We tied it again at 10-10. Still lost.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RTH

RTH Meh...

Or... they immediately gained momentum and we were on our heels from the beginning.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I didn't agree with this decision but it's not even in my top 5 reasons why we lost this ball game

1) tackling
    2) rookie K making 2 50+ FGs
    3) not scoring TDs in the red zone
    4) running into the kicker penalty
    5) run game couldn't get going

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Rewatching the game now

Onside should have worked. We had 4 players on the rookie that got the ball...

Tough break for us...

Still odd call for a conservative coach like Mularkey

9. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Big difference. The Saints had the whole season to prove who they were and for the coach to evaluate if he thought:

A) could his ST actually recover the ball, which they did, and;
    B) If they failed, could his defense hold and not allow an easy TD, and finally and probably most importantly;
    C) Sean Payton KNEW he had the most explosive, #1 ranked, Drew Bree's lead offense in the league that year so he KNEW his offense would be able to bail him out if A&B failed.

His decision was well calculated and paid off, the odds were much more in his and the Saints favor therefore it was a low risk, high reward decision.

For us on the other hand, our ST was horrible last year, and we've added pieces but they are an unknown quantity with zero time together as unit and nothing in the preseason would have us think they would be ready on day 1 pull off the onside kick, which they weren't.

Our defense, pass D in particular was one of the worst in the league last year, we added a bunch of new pieces and young talent but once again they have yet to gel or even play enough to get their feet wet or know how they would respond being on their heels right out of the gate against one of the best offenses in the NFL today. Raiders quickly and easily marched downfield and scored. And, again, nothing in the preseason showed us that they would be capable of stopping them should the ST fail to recover the kick, which they weren't.

And on offense, we have a young QB coming back from a brutal injury with a totally revamped WR Corp which Davis and Decker missed camp so no time to develope timing and chemistry.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. So comparing our surprise onside kick with the Saints in a SB, at the end of the season with the biggest prize on the line, with proven commodities to us, at the beginning of the season with a bunch of new parts one season removed from being the worst team in the NFL is like comparing apples to onions, it's not even close.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

And had it worked he'd look like a genius, but it didn't. While I agree, I like the idea of taking calculated risks. Being too conservative isn't good either, I normally wouldnt have a problem with something like that.

I'm an entrepreneur and God knows I've taken plenty of risks in my career and I'll take plenty more in the future, but the key word here is "calculated" risks. Flying by seat of your pants is reckless, anyone who follows the Titans knows that wasn't calculated, it was a reckless, high risk play to run AT THIS time for this team.

Not saying that once the team matures and we know how to accurately calculate our risk/reward ratio in this type of situation that I wouldn't be all for it, but on this day, this time it was foolish if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar