OLB with the 8th pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Ah I read it wrong, my bad.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why do you assume he is poor in coverage? My biggest concern about a player like him is his instincts and awareness as a 4-3 OLB.

Bulluck was something of a raw package in 2000 which is why he lasted until the end of rd 1. He turned his athleticism into a near hall of fame career.

Jones in rd 1 and Moch or Carter in rd 2 is fine with me. If the chips fall that way i'm all for it.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The Taylor Mays comparisons to Moch don't wash because so much more is demanded of a safety in coverage. A linebacker doesn't have to cover Wrs in the slot.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

McCoy was supposed to be an elite DT prospect! What do team sacks have to do with comparing players?

Bottom line Lamarr Houston a 305 lb one gap type DT played DE because the Raiders had seymour and Kelly(Yes Kelly is a good player) and played great. He was in on 17 more tackles than Gerald Mccoy.

The basic point that you are apparently missing is that Houston would have been a great pick for us at 16 despite where he was drafted and we didn't have a 2nd rd pick either. Sometimes the so called experts are stupid. Houston was a big time producer at Texas, a 305 lb guy with DE like speed. His best games were against the best teams.

He should have been a top 20 pick and his play proves that.

5. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Team sacks help to put context to a specific players performance. Yes Houston had a good year but do you think he would have been as effective if he wasn't the fifth defender that a team had to stop.

Here is your basic blocking scheme when you play the Raiders:
    TE/Tackle: Chip and block Wimbley
    G: Block Scott
    C/G: Double Seymore
    G/T: Block Kelly
    TE: Block Shaughnessy

Houston was on a team that required the players on the DLine to be 2x and one LB that needed to be chipped. That only takes up 6 out of 8 blockers alone with only a four man rush. Add in blitzers and you give Houston a lot of plays where he is singled or unopposed to the QB. The team Houston is on does have a significant amount to do with his success. I can guarantee you that he would not have had so many sacks add he gone #2 overall to the Bucs

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Nah. He couldn't even get into the Pro Bowl a lot of times because of the player/coach votes. He is nowhere near a HOF player. He was a good player with good longevity, but there are a lot of players like that in the past 10 or so years.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bullcrap. He was jobbed out of at least 2-3 pro bowls if not more to one dimensional pass rushers in 3-4 defenses.

Other than Brooks he was the best all around linebacker of his kind in the league.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It takes VOTES to get into the HOF.

He didn't get votes while in the league, and he won't get them when he's out of it.

By non-Titans fans, he will be nearly forgotten in 5 years.

Wycheck is in the same boat.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Houston has DE-like speed? LOL!

For a slow DE yes...but that matters not.

Would you take Robert Mathis at #8 if he was in this draft? Mathis was a too small excellent pass rusher who, like Von Miller, no one thought he could play 4-3 DE due to his size and he was a one trick pony transitioning him to LB. However, he has been an elite pass rusher since coming into the league and a mistake most GM's would like to have back. Von Miller might be the most explosive pass rusher in the draft. Is he a Mathis type? That's up to you to decide, but I pose the question. Would you draft Mathis at #8 even though we don't have a perceived need at DE?

And frankly, a lot of this speculation is a bit pointless when we don't have a DC. For all we know we could bring in a 3-4 DC and switch philosophy...

Bulluck was an excellent player for us but he has zero chance of getting into the HOF. Guys like Harrison and Ray Lewis are the type of guys who will make it. Brooks will too because he was arguably the best OLB of his time. Bulluck was not. He had a very nice career and was a big part of our D, but that's about it. Same way our previous LT won't go either despite playing at a near Pro Bowl level for most of his career.

Gut

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Who in the hell said that Bulluck ws a hall of famer? I said (((NEAR))) hall of famer who should have made 2-3 more pro bowls. He was an elite OLB from 2002-2007.

Why do i have to hear lectures about how he is not going to the hall? I basically said that.

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar