OL of the final 4

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Only tackles (and, rarely, incredible centers) are worth taking in the first round.

The Titans need better play from the guards.

I don't really think there is a connection to be made here.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

So the fact that the Patriots spent a 1st rnder on Mankins and then went out in FA and picked up Waters who is a 6 time pro bowler has nothing to do with their success. The Ravens spent a 1st on Grubbs (a guy that many want us to pick up in FA) and then got Matt Birk in FA another multi-yr pro bowler.

If you are weak up the middle it makes it hard on the QB. We are grooming a young QB and already have weapons for him, but he has a bunch of nobody's playing right in front of him.

In FA we need to get a vet center and then we need to address OG early in the draft.

Improving the offense will improve the defense because we will keep them fresher by controlling the clock and the offense will get them leads which help make the other teams offense more one dimensional. We need to become dominant on one side of the ball and IMO fixing the interior OL is what is needed to make the offense dominant.

3. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

you do realize that you along with everyone else thinks the titans offense is going to be explosive if locker plays so now you want us to sign a center and draft a guard and become a clock control offense? im not sure if you have heard the news but fisher is with the rams now not the titans anymore :wink2:

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Look how sloppy the Steelers have been without Pouncey at Center. They settled for FG's their first two drives vs Denver and lost by a TD. The year before Pouncey arrived in Pitt, Jason Jones made the Grim Reaper look like the Easter Bunny. Pittsburgh had no inside linemen, but now with Pouncey they can compete yearly. We need a 1st round talent at Center, not some bum from the 7th round like Amano. Matthews can't coach these guys as well as Munchak did, that needs to be recognized.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I just want to fix our biggest problem on the offensive side of the ball which is the interior OL. I don't think we should be satisfied with just replacing Jake Scott with a 3rd or 4th rnd draft pick and leaving everyone else in place.

I don't care how we win games as long as we win. Quick strike TDs or long clock eating TDs...as long as we end up with 7 points then I'm fine.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Addressing the weaknesses on the OL via the draft and via free agency are two very different things. I don't think you can just lump them together. You initial post was almost entirely about how many early draft picks the playoff teams have spent on OL. The Titans are not in a position where it makes sense to do that because the Titans have two very strong tackles.

Grabbing a C or G in free agency is a totally different thing and I imagine many of us would support that idea. I know I do.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

And who did Pouncey replace???? Oh yeah that scrub named Hartwig.

Pouncey was picked 18th...we pick 20th and I would be very happy with Peter Konz as the pick.

Although I would prefer a vet center like Hardwick or Wells in FA because that would almost guarantee that Amano wouldn't be our center and would be shifted back to OG.

Pick a vet center and draft a OG in top half of the draft then let Amano, Harris, Velasco and that rookie battle it out for the 2 starting OG spots.

8. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

It's all about the player that is there when you pick.Every year is different.At no point is a center or guard in the 1st a sexy pick.But if the selection pans out, a need is filled for the next 10 years.I have no problem using early picks on anything that will help o or d line.That is where it all starts.

9. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

some can say that they feel the biggest problem was cj too....just looking at it from both sides

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar