OK This Titans WR Hate Has to Stop!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Eight Gov, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Umm, I think he said about average.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Even about average isn't correct. If you think they are average that would still put them in the 14th-19th range of top WRs by teams. I think if you compare the Titans WRs to other teams WRs, it's pretty clear there are maybe only 2-3 teams where I wouldn't swap receivers (not counting salary cap, age, but strictly from a proven talent for 2008 perspective).

Saying our WRs are average is like people that grade drafts by team and don't give a grade lower than a C. If our WRs are average, then I guess no team in the NFL has below average WRs.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I really don't know where your coming from. It is difficult to compare our WR's to other teams because these WR's have been on a predominantly run oriented team with a QB that is struggling w/ a poor INT/TD ratio, reading defenses and mechanics. Our QB is at least equally responsible for our team's poor passing performance. I have no problem with the statement that our passing unit is below average but to pin it on the WR's solely when the ball hasn't been placed where to should be simply isn't accurate.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I always refer back to the Kerry Collins start against the Texans. Our WR's caught the ball and actually played pretty well. Even though the WR's do drop the ball alot most is because of Vince. We shouldn't be worried anymore though.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=37680

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Vince needs to play better and more consistently. The WR's need to be more consistent.

That said, I think much of the problem last year was an offensive scheme that failed to utilize players' strengths.

The most glaring example of this was Vince. Instead of designing plays around Vince's mobility, Chow developed a scheme that used Vince in a more traditional role. (In otherwords, instead of asking Vince to be Vince, he wanted Vince to be Matt Leinart.)

This approach also extended to the WR's. Instead of placing players in a position to utilize their strengths, Chow created a relatively vanilla scheme, and used a cookie-cutter approach toward the WR's.

With virtually any NFL team, you can look at the receiving corps and identify each player's role in the offense. One guy is a possession receiver, another guy is the deep threat, another guy is the slot receiver, etc. Each member of the group has an indentity within the offense.

But with the Titans, nobody had an identity. Instead of allowing each player to develop his strengths, Chow asked each of them to do it all. As a result, you get a group of receivers where each of them is basically the same guy, and none of them is particularly strong in any one area.....wholly unremarkable as a group.

Heimerdinger will take a different approach. By tailoring the scheme to the strengths of the players, he will put each player in a position to maximize his own potential and do whatever it is that he does best. This should make the receivers more comfortable and confident in the offense, which should translate into a more consistent performance overall.

Not that they'll suddenly transform into an elite unit, but I could see them becoming a solid, consistent group, comparable to teams like the Seahawks, Eagles, or Buccaneers.

6. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Oh really? Collins actually had a lower ypt average than VY, and he had a lower passing avergae (even with the Colts final game to boost his average). In the Houston game, he hit 60% (not 62% as VY was for the year) of his passes for 6.7 ypt (same as VY on the year). Against the Texans! The only reason Collins passer rating is better is becuase he had 0 INTs (and 0 TDs). There is not a difference between the QBs, it's the scheme that made them so bad.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I didn't pin it soley on the WRs. It is a combination of problems.

But, to say our WRs are average, leads me to believe that you think they are better than half the other WRs in the league.

Lets look at the starters. (and for the sake of discussion, exclude age and salary cap in consideration... since we are discussing our WRs talents for this season vs. other wrs.)

Titans: Gage, J-Mac

AFC East:
    Pats: Moss, Welker
    Bills: Lee Evans, James Hardy
    Dolphins: Tedd Ginn, Derek Hagan
    Jets: Cotchery, L. Coles

I would take the Titans over the Dolphins.

AFC North:
    Ravens: D.Mase, Mark Clayton
    Bengals: Chad Johnson, T.J. Housh
    Browns: Braylon Edwards, Donte Stallworth
    Steelers: Ward, S.Holmes

I could see an argument against the Ravens, but I would still take them over ours for this next season.

AFC South:
    Texans: Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter
    Colts: Wayne, Harrison
    Jags: Porter, Northcutt

I would probably take ours over the Jags.

AFC West:
    Broncos: Marshall?, Stokely
    Chiefs: D. Bowe, Devard Darling
    Raiders: J. Walker, R. Curry
    Chargers: C. Chambers, V. Jackson

I could see an argument against the Broncos (if Marshall gets suspended), and the Chiefs. But I would still take the Chiefs over our WRs based on how good Bowe looked last year.

NFC East:
    Cowboys: Owen, Terry Glen
    Giants: Burress, Toomer
    Eagles: Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis
    Redskins: Santana Moss, Antwaan Randel-el

Could see the argument vs. the Eagles, but I'd still take the Eagles WRs.

NFC North:
    Bears: Marty Booker, Mark Bradley
    Lions: Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson
    Packers: Donald Driver, Greg Jennings
    Vikings: Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice

I would take the Titans over the Bears.

NFC South:
    Falcons: Roddy White, Laurent Robinson
    Panthers: Steve Smith, DJ Hackett
    Saints: Colston, David Patten
    Bucs: Joey Galloway, Michael Clayton

A weak group. I like Roddy White, so I'd take the Falcons over us. Can see a solid argument vs. the Bucs.

NFC West:
    Cardinals: Boldin, Fitzgerald
    49ers: Isaac Bruce, Bryant Johnson
    Seahawks: Bobby Engram, Nate Burleson
    Rams: Torry Holt, Drew Bennett

I would trade the Titans starters for any of those, though Seattle looks kind of weak.

So, I see 3 teams where I'd rather have our WRs then theirs. I see maybe 4 more teams where it would be questionable.

I don't see how that puts our WRs as average. If they are average, then they should fall in the middle of the pack right? About 15 teams better, 15 teams worse. Can you find 15 teams where you'd take our WRs over theirs?
    Can you point out to me the teams with below average WRs?

That's where I am coming from.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't put much of this on Chow.

Chow had to scheme the passing offense to Young's inexperience and inaccuracy. I think '05 was a better indication of where Chow wanted to go with the offense which ended the season ranked #17. Though much of it was to the TEs, the Titans did end the season #9 in passing. And the Titans didn't have much at WR then either. But a McNair in decline had over 3,000 yards passing.

I put 85% of any passing game improvement on Young this season. I don't think Dinger's impact will be made as much on play-calling as improving Young. Once that happens, I think we'll find our WRs are decent and Dinger will be able to open up the offense more as the season wears on.

Young has to improve. The rest will follow.

9. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

A lot of guys have brought up how well are receivers played in the houston game but I must have watched a different game. Roydell williams had a great game but other than that gage was the only receiver to make a catch. And kerry collins threw the ball 42 times that game which was more than vince through in a game all year. QB's and receivers usually get into a rhythm as the game goes on but our offense was never consistently throwing the ball which makes the timing much harder. I think this year our receivers and vince will look better but I also don't think our receiving corps is average in terms of talent.

10. wg53

wg53 Starter

Only by retards are they called that.

People make it seem like they had the most drops in the NFL which is entirely inaccurate.

The problem with our passing game was not our WRs. It was the lack of production that we got out of our RBs and TEs. Not our WRs. Then again I wouldn't expect some of you to understand anything about football considering the knowledge around here is quite superficial at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar