Offseason Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

In 1999 some of the pre season power rankings had St Louis ranked as low as 28th !!! Didn't they win the superbowl that year with an untested QB ?

I think Tennessee started that year about #12 or so. Those guys didn't do too bad either...The lessen DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO PRESEASEON RANKINGS Especially ones from ESPN...

Just for fun take a look at this from Sept 7,1999 http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview99/rankings.html

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

BAMARON,
    Who was number one on the power rankings week one when the pats last won the super bowl? The Pats! Amazing! I know that's a biased stat, but the point is simply that they get some things right and some things wrong. Also, note that the power rankings are simply a situational ranking of where they think the teams are at the moment, it's not a prediction for the next season.

3. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

4. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

To keep the argument moving, they have the Pats listed high on their list mainly because of their QB. What happens to their ratings if the Pats QB goes out for the season during pre-season? That's what I was asking earlier about our Titans. They rated us low because of Volek. Where would they rate us if we signed Collins?
    If the power ratings were 100% accurate, I'd be headed to Vegas to visit Guido & Vinnie with every dollar I can get my hands on! Is ESPN any good at predicting the Power Ball?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I don't think we would be rated any differently with Collins or Volek.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Check out last year's ESPN preseason Power rankings ....

(bold type indicates teams that made it to the playoffs)

Their top ten

1. Patriots
    2. Colts
    3. Eagles
    4. Vikings
    5. Steelers
    6. Falcons
    7. Chargers
    8. Ravens
    9. Jets
    10.Panthers

In their top ten teams, only four made the postseason.

The ten worst

1. Niners
    2. Browns
    3. Dolphins
    4. Bears
    5. Bucs
    6. Titans
    7. Redskins
    8. Giants
    9. Lions
    10.Raiders

Their preseason "cellar dwellers" produced two division winners, and two wildcard teams.

This illustrates just how useless preseason rankings are....when all was said and done, their predictions were no more accurate than a coin flip.

7. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Nine just won the argument... end of discussion :)

8. GoTitans3801

Nine made a very good point, but that doesn't mean the rankings don't mean anything. Power rankings are supposed to be the ranking of where these teams are at the time of the ranking, not season predictions.

9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

This is what they said, in short, about their 4th slot Denver, "Between Jay Cutler and Javon Walker, they've brought in their QB-WR tandem of the future".
    The tandem 'of the future' made the 4th slot <u>this year</u>. Now thats a Power Rating!!!!!!

10. GoTitans3801

From that point, they aren't that bad. Once Dante and McNabb went down, there was a huge change. Yeah, they were off on a few others. Were the Chargers really that bad of a call? I'd say they were easily the best team to miss it.

Just saying, the season is long, things change, but it's not that bad an indicator of where teams are right now, it's an indication of momentum, at least in theory, based on the offseason. My guess is we'd be a lot higher if Steve hadn't just left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar