Offseason Mail Day Thread

Discussion in 'Memorabilia' started by titanbuoy, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I haven't been buying much this offseason, but I've picked up a few odds and ends. I've snagged three nice Kenny Britt pieces (his Contenders auto, National Treasures auto, and his SP Authentic auto), sadly they're all redemption cards (his cards weren't ready when product shipped out so they have inserted serial numbered cards with that scratch off stuff that are redeemed online and the company will mail them to you).

Here's one of the 09 Contenders cards that did in fact ship live...

Javon Ringer 09 Playoff Contenders Auto RC
    [​IMG]
    (on card auto... nice. It's hard to be truly motivated to spend on Ringer's stuff. With CJ here I can't see Ringer ever really putting up big numbers in a Titans uni)

Other than the Britts I've been spending most of my coin on vintage oil...

George Blanda 1961 Topps SGC86 (Near Mint+)
    [​IMG]
    (despite playing a full season with the Oilers in 1960 the card has Blanda still pucture in his Bears uni... frickin Topps)

Bill Groman 1961 Topps
    [​IMG]
    Groman was one of the stars of the early Oilers wide open offences. He caught 72 passes for 1473 yards and 12 TD's in the Oilers inaugural season. Kinda cool hand painted rendering of the red jerseys the Oilers would wear in 1961.

Billy Cannon 1963 Fleer
    [​IMG]
    Cannon was the Oilers first ever draft pick. The uber-hyped 1959 Heisman trophy winner is remiscent of Reggie Bush; Always a threat for a big play, but never really put it all together as a full time pro RB. He was sensational in his first two seasons as an Oiler, leading them to back to back AFL titles. He hurt his back in 1963, was traded to the Raiders and never really returned to form. The last years of his career were spent at receiver.
  2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

continued...

1965 Topps Charlie Hennigan
    [​IMG]
    65 Topps is arguably the most popular football card set of all time. It`s oversized cards are tough to find in mint condition (kids would cut them to fit in boxes with standard sized cards), the beautiful, yet simple design, and the fact that it contains Joe Namath`s RC make this set the chit. Hennigan was a beast, a superstar of the AFL whose career is sadly overlooked by the NFL. His record of 1746 receiving yards stood for over two decades until Jerry Rice beat it. He was a high school teacher when he decided to ask the newly forming Oilers for a tryout. He went ahead and scored the franchise`s first touchdown and never looked back.

Next up is a truly unique piece

In 1961 the Oilers played the first of two annual preseason charity games held in houston called the Interfaith Charity Bowl. The two game were held in 1961 and 1962 at the Oilers then home Jeppson Stadium. The Knight of Columbus were in charge of running the event and in appreciation for their work, Bud Adams presented to the State Deputies and the Chairman of the Knights commemorative plates, featuring facsimile autographs of the entire roster and coaching staff. I snagged one on eBay :) I have no idea how many still exist.

1961 Houston Oilers Interfaith Charity Bowl Commemorative Plate
    [​IMG]
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you've not been buying, that means the market is ripe for us pretenders. :yes:
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

There's some nice stuff available for this year's rookies. Ryan Mouton and Gerald McRath's cards from the SP Authentic set feature them in those sweet love ya blue Oilers throwbacks, and the sigs are directly on card. They're numbered to /999 and have been selling for less than $3 usually. I've snagged them, but they're still in transit. It sucks that Britt's nice stuff is all available through redemption cards. CJ was the same way last year. Frickin' lazy "basterds"... sign yer cards!
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Yao

You used to have to look under rocks for these, now they come in cards...

[​IMG]
  6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Wouldn't that critter be up in a tree (as opposed to under a rock)? Some odd cards being put out of late (I guess obviously).

A few odds and ends have arrived lately...

A couple more old school pieces:

Billy Cannon 64 Topps
    [​IMG]

Billy Cannon 61 Fleer
    [​IMG]
    I love the 61 Fleer cards and this is one of my absolute faves.
  7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Keeping up with the Oilers theme (but of a little more recent vintage)

Kenny Britt 09 Topps Unique
    [​IMG]
    Since Topps has lost it's license from the NFLPA this will be Topps final NFL release (after 55 years straight of producing cards for the league). I had to snag one of the base Britt RC's.

Gerald McRath 09 SP Authentic 509/999
    [​IMG]

Ryan Mouton SP Authentic 755/999
    [​IMG]
    These SP Authentic auto RC's are sweet! Really love the design.

Javon Ringer 09 Ultimate 226/375
    [​IMG]
    Another great looking card. I've said thiis too many times now, but I'd love it if the Titans just changed the derrick on the side of these helmets to a T and made this blue gear the Titans uni's. Simple, classic, beautiful. It'll never happen, but if I owned the Titans I'd file the paperwork for the change with the league like frickin' yesterday.
  8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ® Tip Jar Donor

Nice.

Old school uniforms look good on cardboard
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Yao

Like those SP and ultimate a lot. Nice!
  10. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I so want this damn thing, but even my self indulgent ass can't find any justification for spending this much on a McFarlane figure

ebay click

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.