Official "Rational Discussion of Potential Disaster" Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KamikaZ, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

they have all been there thru TC, PS and the 0-3 start so how is that lockerroom presence and sideline leadership working out???

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

As bad as these losses have been to take, we were in position to win each of them all the way down to the wire. We haven't been blown-out. We are having really bad luck. @ Pittsburgh Bironas blew it, against Houston our secondary blew it, @ NY today Mouton blew it for us too.

So I don't think we can call the season over yet but if we lose to Jax next week then it is.

3. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

The Germans?
    I did not know that.
    "Don't believe evrything you read on the internet. That is how World War 1 started.":ha:

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8lT1o0sDwI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8lT1o0sDwI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Collins 2009
    <pre>Attempts Att Comp Pct Yds Avg TD Int 1st% Rate
    Attempts 1-10 30 20 66.7 235 7.8 2 2 36.7 84.7
    Attempts 11-20 30 20 66.7 213 7.1 0 1 40 73.3
    Attempts 21-30 30 15 50 162 5.4 2 0 30 88.5
    <b style="color:red;">Attempts 31+ 15 3 20 20 1.3 0 1 6.7 11.8</b></pre>

Collins 2008

<pre>Attempts Att Comp Pct Yds Avg TD Int 1st% Rate
    Attempts 1-10 154 88 57.1 937 6.1 1 6 32.5 61
    Attempts 11-20 146 91 62.3 1,037 7.1 7 1 32.2 96.7
    Attempts 21-30 101 52 51.5 641 6.3 2 1 30.7 73.9
    <b style="color:red;">Attempts 31+ 56 37 66.1 342 6.1 2 0 37.5 94.5</b></pre>

Collins has started faster, been more consistent and played better overall this year than he did last year. Except he just hasn't finished well at all. Yes, we've had drops by the WRs - but we had them all last year, too. The difference is that in the 4th Q this year Collins has looked like what we all criticize Young for - he's not reading the blitz, he's throwing balls at receivers feet and he's sailing them way over head. He has a 25.9 rating in the 4th Q this year.

He's getting drops because he's trying to force the ball downfield into the blitz. He's got a hot route - he's just not using it at all. He's holding on to the ball too long, and then not able to step up to throw. And at the end of the day, the underlying problem is he shouldn't be attempting 30+ passes a game.

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yeah because we all know that starting fast is WAAAAAAY more important than finishing fast. :rolleyes:

By that statment, you must have been paying close attention to the game...that said, where were his hot routes?
    And by that token, if you are saying he's not using his hot routes, then that is just further justification for putting him on the bench.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This is not a team that's built for 4th quarter come-from-behind victories. How can anyone be surprised that Collins is struggling late in games when the score is close?

The problem isn't Collins. It should be very clear what the team has in Collins (and he is the best QB on the team, so let's not get into that).

The problem is that the offense is being asked to come from behind late in games. Last season, the Titans would be leading those games and Collins would just be asked to grind out some clock.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Sorry - I think you misunderstood my post. My point was that the biggest difference between our offense this year and last year is that Collins has flat out stunk in the 4th.

I'm not quite ready to bench Collins because pre-snap reads isn't exactly VY's strength. But at some point it couldn't get any worse... and we're getting there.

But other than the 4th Q he's actually played very well - better than last year. So if we just get back to the run game, and get more realistic in our passing game then Collins should be fine. Maybe better than fine. But he's got to make better decisions, and the coaches have to start calling a better game.

9. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I understood the point. I just don't think many members here realize that the 4th Q is the money Q. It doesn't matter so much what the score is in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even beginning of the 4th Q. What matters is the score at the end of the 4th Q.
    13 incompletions in a row followed by an INT isn't going to cut it...for any QB on any team.

If we keep losing games, it's going to need to be done, even if Collins isn't absolutely stinking it up.
    When I played Volleyball (6-man indoor) in college, I was the setter (like a QB). When one person was playing crappy, you removed that player. If they all were playing crappy, you removed the setter, regardless if the setter wasn't playing that bad. It's not a matter of the QB play itself, but how it's affecting the rest of the team...something some of you don't understand.
    Not saying VY will play much better from an individual standpoint, but what if he's put in and by that alone, fires up the rest of the team and makes them start playing like they were in the playoffs? IMO, that would be more powerful and more important and would trump whatever downside VY initially brought to the table if he was put back under center.

As mentioned, even with his downside, I'd rather see Vince back there at this point. 1. we can't really get any worse, and 2. if he's the future of the franchise, why not give him some more OJT now???

10. ruby10football

ruby10football Camp Fodder

I agree! Obviously it is not working with KC. Why not bring Young in before it's too late. He brings more to the table simply being the mobile QB he is. He can't be any worse with interceptions/incompletions than what Kerry is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar