Official Kevin Matthews Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ten_Titans, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

oh that's right.. he did come in for the colts game... he did decent... much better than amano...

i dont know why, but i always seem to want players that have parents that were great do well... i kinda feel sorry for them... all that unfair expectations... like michael jordan's sons

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I base it on mostly circumstantial evidence. Where was he drafted? With our interior OL SO bad last year, if they even considered he might even be decent they should have given him a shot...but didn't. Despite his 'showing' at the Indy game, they signed a new OG and brought in a zillion OC's. You don't do that if you think you have the guy here already. I HOPE he can be decent, but I'm VERY concerned we're missing 2 starters out of 5 on the OL!

Gut

3. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

The Titans are looking for immediate help and I guess they thought using a draft pick on one unless he fell to them wouldn't be wise (Konz and Ben Jones). We've brought in like every free agent that can play Center and now we're interested in Jason Brown (just a rumor) so it's not like the coaches are okay with Amano they're just looking for the right fit.

Some of the blame can go on Bud Adams wanting to waste time and go after Manning but for the most part either we don't value the position enough to throw more money at it or they just didn't want to play here.

4. Titans1981

Titans1981 Practice Squad

lol

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He was undrafted as is Velasco and this new kid from Bama. It's not uncommon for a undrafted FA guard or center to make an NFL roster.

I don't pretend to know the minds of the Titans coaching staff. I don't see Munch as the kind to yank a job from a starter if they are healthy.

I'm looking at this as if the Titans are unable to find a free agent or pick up someone who gets cut. Your options are as follows:

1. Keep Amano and pray last year was a fluke.
    2. Put Harris there but, apparently, that was ruled out long ago.
    3. Hope Matthews or Velasco is ready to push for a shot.
    4. Hope this kid from Bama is lightning in a bottle.

I see #3 as the only hope the Titans have for upgrading the position and, for that to happen, Munch has to have the mindset of giving them a shot.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

According to Pat Kirwin, from CBS, regarding your number 4 point. (It was an article ranking the top undrafted players...)

6. William Vlachos, C Alabama (Tennessee) -- I watched the undersized center at the pro bowl (im guessing he meant senior bowl) and he reminds me of Casey Wiegmann. He has 40 college starts and a knack for winning in the trenches.

It also sucks that his top player was Brewster (C), who went to the Jags.

But in general, i agree with your number 3 point. If you look at my most recent post in the 'Munchak And Titans Overall Plan For Center Position' Thread, you would see that.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I can tell you all that neither Velasco, Matthews, or Amano are good enough to start on any NFL team. Leroy Harris MIGHT be able to, but those others all stink.

I keep seeing a ton of posts about Velasco, and I have NO idea why.. He's not that good at all. Certainly serviceable for coming in to give a guy a break, but he's not our answer. And Little Matthews is even worse.

What we need is fresh meat.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'd even entertain calling Jake Scott up to see if he wants back in before letting Amano anywhere near our offense. Amano is going to get someone killed, he needs to be cut and or kidnapped.

9. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Detective Sonny Crockett

People tend to forget that Amano was a pretty good LG for us back in 08 season. I think a switch back to LG isn't out of the books, I see Amano starting at LG Hutch at Rg and whoever is best at C. Whether that's Velasco, Matthews, Harris, or Vlachos I don't care, anything is better than amano at C for a 3rd straight year.

10. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Detective Sonny Crockett

scott is an arizona cardinal now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar