** Off-Season Plan Thread **

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Figured people would start making off-season plans & what they would do. I always do & I know other posters do. I thought there was a thread already doing this, but I couldn't locate it. Here's my plan as of 12/31/2013.

I'm projected Munchak stays. Gregg Williams to DC. New LB coach.

Cut: CJ2K, Wimbley, Stewart, Stevens, Fouku, & Fitz
    After cuts, Cap Space: $31,257,952 mil

Resign: Pollard (2yr/$5 mil), Verner (6yr/$45 mil), Pito (2y/$4 mil), & Spencer (1yr/1mil)
    Rework Nate Washingtons deal to lower his cap number.

That's ~$12 mil spent, depending how we work Verners deal. Leaving us with $19.3 mil to spend, subtract another $4 mil for rookie contracts, and we go into free agency having $15 mil available to spend.

Draft:
    1st: CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama
    2nd: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tenn -or- Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M
    4th: Marion Grice, RB, Arizona St
    5th: Austin Wentworth, OT, Fresno St
    6th: Antonio Andrews, RB, Western Kentucky
    7th: John Urschel, OG, Penn State

Main Free Agents:
    Jared Allen (4yr/?? mil)
    Josh Freeman (1yr/2.5mil)
    Michael Hoomanawanui (2yr/2mil)

Depth Chart:
    TE Walker, Hoomanawanui, Thompson
    LT Roos, Wentworth
    LG LeVitre, Urschel
    OC Schwenke, Spencer
    RG Warmack, Spencer
    RT Richardson, Stingily
    FB Mooney
    WR Wright, Hunter, Washington, Preston, Mariani
    QB Locker, Freeman, Tyler Wilson
    RB Greene, Grice, Andrews

Defense
    LDE Morgan, Pitoitua
    DT Casey, Hill, Martin, Klug
    RDE Allen, Edwards
    OLB1 Ayers, Gooden, Bailey
    MLB Mosley, McCarthy
    OLB2 Brown, Gooden
    LCB McCourty, Verner, Sensabaugh, Wreh-Wilson, Wooten/Campbell
    SS Pollard, Stafford
    FS Griffin, Wilson

K - Bironas
    P - Kern
    Ret - Mariani, Andrews

(red = draftee, blue = free agent, purple = resign)

I could see an additional signing of an interior OL, CB, S, & TE - mostly for depth & competition purposes. Under my plan we attempt to get more pressure on the QB. Adding Jared Allen, side-by-side with Casey would be a force. Mosley excells in coverage and would allow Ayers/Brown to blitz more often. We keep our secondary the same, but increase our pass rush. Mosley hopefully becomes our "Luke Kuechly" and mans our defense. On offense, I believe Munchak will put his faith in Locker. You could make an argument that we would of made playoffs in '13 w/ a healthy Locker, except he's never healthy. We target Josh Freeman, he's nothing special - but he's a solid backup QB & has a shot at a starting role. If he gets looks from other teams, Matt Flynn is an option. Don't forget Tyler Wilson was just a 4th round pick and has potential. We say goodbye to the CJ2K era, Greene is our Day 1 starter, but there's also two rookie RBs drafted 4th round and 6th round ready for playing time. Both Grice & Andrews are good at receiving the ball, which gives us another element. Hopefully, between the two we'll be able to find a Zac Stacey, Andre Ellington, etc. Also a potential of picking up a free agent RB, who can be held for cheap.

If Locker stays healthy (or we get production from Wilson/Freeman), this team can make the playoffs. Look forward to a pro-bowl year from Wright, Hunter explodes year 2, & three RBs who will give 110% every attempt. On defense we now have two 10+ sack guys and a true MLB.

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

While all us dedicated fans are making moves to better the team in 2014

this is Tommy Smith this morning

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 7
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I hate to foil your master plan, but cutting CJ, Wimbley, Stewart, Stevens, Fouku, & Fitz only adds up to a $17.69M savings.

4. xpmar9x

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Titans

I was following that, regardless - my plan isn't ruined. I didn't spend mad money, just necessary money lol

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I don't see CJ or Fokou being cut if Munchak is back. Fokou was solid enough to bring back. Wimbley is definitely gone. Outside of that it's hard to say for sure who else will be too.

I like your plan overall though. Jared Allen should be our top priority in FA just don't want to overpay too much.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Jared Allen? I haven't seen him do much. I don't really understand the love for him right now.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Like your draft, hate your free agent signings.

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. xpmar9x

Who would you prefer?

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

What I would prefer is not giving money to a player two teams completely gave up on in 2013 (Freeman) and a pass rusher who's past his prime (Allen).

I generally prefer never giving out big contracts in free agency and instead focusing on drafting well and re-signing your core players. The Green Bay Packers/Pittsburgh Steelers model. That's what wins championships.

Any money that might go to Freeman/Allen/whoever else should go to locking up Jurrell Casey.

10. xpmar9x

I'll give you that. Freeman is more of an emergency backup, who has potential to proove something. The contract is a tiny (for a QB) one year rental.

Allen can still produce 10+ sacks and is only 31.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar