Now The Rumor Is Fisher To St. Louis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by FightinTitan, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

I did not see it, but posters on titanscentral are saying that CBS and ESPN said that the Rams are interested in Jeff Fisher and may be pursuing him as their next coach. No word anywhere out of St. Louis, where I have a very goood friend.

Yesterday it was reported that the Rams would be interested in Fisher, but were not prepared to give up draft picks for Fisher. Now keep in mind that Fisher is under contract. The only way the Rams could go after Fisher is if he was fired or if they gave up draft picks and/or cash considerations.

Bud Adams is not going to give Jeff Fisher up for free. If he could get some top draft picks and/or some cash, he might look at the deal as long as the Texans don't get Fisher. You can bet that the Rams would not get Fisher for free if they got him at all.

Of course this may be nothing but a ploy to get the contract extension he has been waiting on. Fisher knows that his first round pick will not be ready to contribute and help the team immediately. He also knows that he will have a 2nd roun der who will but will not have 3rd round pick at all. Knowing this, he wants some security. One way or another either Fisher gets his extension or he parlays this situation into a new contract with a new team via a deal made between the Rams front office and Bud Adams.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

How does this help get a contract extension? Bud has him under contract for 2006. He has him for 2007 if he wants to exercise the option.

IMO, Fisher doesn't have squat working for him right now except an opportunity to get the team headed into the right direction next season.

Fisher is going no where.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Fisher has an interview coming up on Channel 5 news with Mark Howard and I think he asks him some questions about all the rumors that have been floating around. So, we'll see what he says....

4. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I'll be watching. But, I think most all of the interview was done earlier this week....before all of this Rams / Texans talk started. I hope that is wrong, but unless he finished the interview sometime after 3pm today, I don't see us getting the whole story.

5. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

Fisher can make this entire deal as clean or as messy as he wants to. If Bud does not move forward, Fisher can create a rather embarassing situation, somewhat similar to what Herm Edwards did in NY last week. Bud Adams would be left with little choice but to let him go and risk the Texans getting him.

Now this is above Fisher's normal behavior, but when it comes to financial security and money, you never know. This is a unique offseason with a lot of moves being made.

6. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

How so? He's UNDER CONTRACT. He can't do anything until 2008 if Bud doesn't want him to.

Fisher needs to prove he is a solid coach again. He has a season, maybe two, to prove it.

8. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

He is (has been) making $4 million+ a year...I would think that was pretty secure, but you may be right.

9. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

Jeff, in the business world, contracts are made to broken or amended. It is not too difficult to get something added if you have any kind of leverage at all. If Fisher wanted to, he could make life very miserable for Bud, forcing Buds hand.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I wouldn't ditch Fisher for anything short of two first round picks. Plus, there is a serious shortage of good candidates this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar