Norv Turner

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

This is just a simple thread, want your opinion. Norv was just given a 3 year extension.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Not one Jeff Fisher supporter better speak against it.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Norv is a terrible coach, failed in Washington and Oakland and now he's being rewarded for the same reason Marty Schottenheimer was fired, makes no sense. He has a good regular season record with San Diego which is pretty easy in that division and with that roster but hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs and now they come out and play totally soft against the Jets. Whatever, that's the Chargers problem, they'll wise up some day but not in awhile.

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

It's the economy's fault

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think many of us would have much of a problem with Fisher if he'd won a playoff game the last two seasons followed up with what the Chargers did this season.

6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

sorry there was supposed to be a poll guys. i dont know where it went

personally, i remember a draft couple years back i think - maybe a bit more - when norv was in charge too and the chargers had a very late first round pick and people claimed they had no direct needs 'draft the best player available' approach. the team has been stacked for a while and imo underperformed

the poll was gonna just ask whether you think he deserved an extension

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

There's an easy formula for retaining and firing head coaches in San Diego

If you go 14-2 and lose to the patriots by 3 in the playoffs, you're fired.

If go 13-3 and lose to the Jets by 3 in the playoffs, contract extension.

8. amy

amy Starter

The owner is older, wiser, and doesn't want to spend money? probably all three.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I found it very interesting that all the coaching blame went to Norv and none was taken by the highly respected Ron Rivera. On defense, they needed to stuff the Jets run game and force Sanchez to throw it and force him into mistakes. Since the Jets were running so well, they seriously needed to consider putting 8, 9, or even 10 in the box (when the Jets went single WR). But Rivera said he wouldn't put more than 8 in the box unless it was goal line. Right there, you throw away an obvious advantage and the best coaching strategy to stop the Jets offense. They, like the Titans, also stayed with most of their base defensive coverages.

Norv certainly deserves SOME of the blame for this because he can over rule anyone on his staff and they are doing...in essence...what HE wants. But I strongly suspect Norv leaves the defense to Rivera and doesn't mettle much. Rivera has done a good job for them overall, but he allowed Schotty to outcoach him and allowed the Jets to run their game plan successfully...which forced the Chargers as a team to play Jets football. Norv and Rivera should take blame for that. In addition, the Jets out coached and outplayed Norv's baby...their offense. The Jets for the most part had their way with the Chargers. They were able to stuff LT repeatedly with only 7 man fronts, completely eliminated Sproles from the game, mostly nullified Jackson, forced Rivers into uncharacteristic mistakes and hit him a lot, and contained Jackson and Gates adequately. However, I expected that to happen.

What I did not suspect was that the Chargers D wouldn't take anything away...especially in the second half after the Jets settled down and made some adjustments.

Their whole staff got outcoached and for the most part, their players got out played.

I would not have given Turner a contract extension for 2 reasons. First, there is very likely to be a lockout after next season...the last on his contract so if you extend him now, you may be paying the first year of his extension for nothing. Second, I'd want him to earn an extension. The Chargers are a talent laden team and have done quite well in the regular season, but he has not made adjustments...especially in playoff games. Teams have simply taken away what they do (the teams that can that is) and when they have, he's had no answer. You get outcoached on offense and defense and you usually lose the game (with perhaps only turnovers saving you).

Turner is a solid coach but not someone I'd feel the need to extend when there are better coaches out there IMO and I wouldn't want to pay him for not working for a year.

Gut

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I would like the Bolts to extend Norv's contract. Same with Del Rio at the Jags.

As long as they're coaching our rivals will continue to suck.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar