Norm Chow FIRED

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by OswegoTitan41, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I seem to remember it being more about the big market. He ultimately wanted to become a head coach, but he didn't exactly take the Jets to the promised land. I also seem to remember that left here, almost with regret. I'd love to see Dinger come back. People keep saying that our offense lacked the talent to judge Chow fairly. Heimerdinger made an UFA in Drew Bennett play like a star. Most importantly, Fisher let him. Mason, McCareins, Bennett. Nobody knew those names.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

To clarify, I'm not advocating that Volek would've been a great starter or anything like that.

All I'm saying is I'm pretty sure Volek said something along the lines of "no one can succeed in Chow's offense"

Unfortunately, I never found a link, and if no one else remembers that, then I really don't have proof that was said.

But if it was, I find it very ironic that Volek told us that 2 seasons ago and was, well to this point in Chow's NFL career anyway, correct.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Uhuh, and in playing in only one more game this year than he did last year, he has 18 passing TD's, 1 rushing TD, doubled his passing yards, halved his rushing yards, and better than halved his turnovers. What's your point???

4. Alex1939

I think I've read you say something similar before, but I have to really disagree with you.

The Chargers this year made entire coaching changes and have done better. The Cowboys made coaching changes and made it as far as last year.
    The Bucs brought in Gruden and won a superbowl. The same year the Raiders had to make a coaching change and made the superbowl.

Sometimes teams have to be wise enough to make coaching changes even during peak player years. The failure to address problems or make coaching upgrades can be as big or a bigger problem than disrupting continuity.

5. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

But those coaches are coaching inherited teams that are ready to go. Like Switzer did with Jimmie Johnson's cowboys. Give them a year or two and they'll go down like the cowboys did.

6. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

"vince young will never be what he's been hyped up to be" ....Maybe not, We'll see

"blaming it on the offensive coordinator is the wrong thing to do".... but it is the right thing to do when the offensive coordinator sucks

7. Alex1939

Vince has already achieved more than Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf.

It's one thing if you don't think Vince will ever turn into a great QB. But if you are comparing him to Couch and Leaf, you're the one in denial.

8. Alex1939

That's not the point.

It was said that teams don't/shouldn't make an OC change in the middle of a playoff run window. I disagree with that. Clearly teams that have made HC changes or sweeping total coaching changes have still succeeded, and in some cases exceeded prior coaching, during a teams playoff window.

(btw, nice T.O. pic avatar; gave me a good laugh)

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Did those teams make dramatic changes to their systems? That's what I'm talking about. I really don't know except for the Raiders where they didn't and Gruden ate their lunch.

When Chow came in, all the talk was about how there was not going to be any huge changes from the Dinger offense. Basically, it was to be simplified in the terms used to get them out of the huddle faster. It was to try and keep McNair from taking a pounding. So the change was not dramatic from '04 to '05. And we know he simplified it further in '06.

We don't know if a change at OC will call for big scheme changes or not. If it is a slow change, it shouldn't be that difficult. If it's huge, I think it'll take, at least, a season for Young to learn the system well.

Young was struggling with the offense this year and it's probably one of the more simple schemes in the league.

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I saw ZERO creativity with regard to routes our receiver packages ran this year. It was either down and out or straight down the field. I am not sure Chow was able to adapt to the level of play in the NFL in his schemes, and combine that with a QB that did not appear to progress much in the passing game and you aren't going to exactly light it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar