No To A Free Agent DB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by formerphinfan, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. formerphinfan

formerphinfan Camp Fodder

Bravo….Great post

His stats for a rookie are impressive
    7th on the team in tackles with 70
    7 passes defensed
    2 sacks
    2 fumbles recovered
    1 fumble forced
    1 92 yard fumble return for a TD

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i agree

ppl underestimate the importance of the NB position...the 3 WR set in the nfl is very commen...and the fact that he such a good coverman often took away from his tackle totals (cept during that game where he stareed...he made alot of plays on ball carriers other tehn the one he lined up against) but he is on the field a lot and is a very very good db...w/ very good speed...i wuold not want to move him outa a position he is developin great into.....look wat happened to hill he played NB b4 they moved him to the starting CB when woolfolk stuggled and he didnt do too well...lets keep the NB position strong and get anotehr solid coner and a new FS to develop one fo the best DB combos ever....just thing bout this...pac + asante/clements + hope + finnegan + maybe michael lewis from teh eagles or reggie nelson in the draft...and bam...top 5 in the nfl....

3. but y have someone who could be amazing in for only 1/2 the plays, hes plenty fast enough (faster than jones-drew) and tackles as good u could ask for, and an amazing coverage guy, hes the steal of the draft IMO except maybe colston

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:wall:

some people just dont understand the concept of depth.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

I don't think anyone is saying they'll be disappointed if the Titans go after a big-ticket cornerback....heck, who wouldn't love to see the Titans with an absolutely lethal secondary?

What I'm saying is, there are several other positions where the Titans are much worse off. The market for cornerbacks is shaping up to be fairly shallow. The Patriots will almost certainly tag Asante Samuel, leaving Nate Clements as the only top-flight cornerback on the market....the bidding is going to be ridiculous.

Last year, the Packers gave Charles Woodson something like $50M over 7 years...this will likely set the market for this year's pool. Clements is better than Woodson, younger, and teams have a lot more money to spend.....he could feasibly end up with a $10M/year deal.

And I don't know about you, but I don't want to see the Titans spending $10M a year on a position that's nowhere near the top of their shopping list.

I find it more likely that we'll go with the current lineup, and probably draft a cornerback in round 2-3. This gives the team the depth and talent they need, while also keeping the cap under control.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I pretty much share the same opinion. If we get a big name FA, ok, but I'm fine with Finnegan if we don't, and drafting one somewhere. I say "drafting" because I think there is a large drop-off after Clements and Samuel, and wouldn't want to waste the money on someone like a Fred Smoot, for instance, who could also block the development of someone with potential like Finnegan.

The other thing is getting a DE. I think this should be, and is to most of you, the bigger concern, and it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with two, one of them perhaps being a larger DE who can move inside on passing downs. But anyway, our measure of success in this position, and the d-line in general, will help determine if giving Finnegan a shot at starting on the outside is a luxury we can afford.

It's going to be rated as such for Cortland, and probably rightly so, as much as I want to see him start:

1) Did we get a top FA CB? Congratulations, you remain our starting nickleback. Maybe we'll try you at FS.

2) Did we get a top DE in FA or the draft? If we feel our line is improved, we missed out on a CB during all of FA, AND Finnegan can beat the competition in camp, then he can start on the outside, and he will have deserved it.

I think the Titans have a unique opportunity to develop a quintessential "our guy" in Finnegan and should let him be on the field and continue to make plays. For his part, he just needs to be ready to take advantage of the opportunities as they present themselves, as hackneyed as that sounds.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I also think it is a matter of how the team uses the players to maximize its overall strength. Are you getting the most out of the squad with Finnegan at NB, CB or FS?

8. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

nine... Please hear my post..

We really need to upgrade CB. Unfortunately, Schwartz is with us like a bad case of herpes, but, be that as it may using his crazy scheme, if we had a better cover corner, we would be able to play a lot more cover 1 with 8 in the box.

Our two worst starters on the team are in the secondary. How can cb not be a position of need?

9. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I think we gave a good enough offense now with the exception of WR ofcourse whom we probably have on our roster already and don't know about. I wouldn't mind using an early pick for an elite WR though, considering we had the chance to convert on many many third downs in 06 but failed to because of countless drops and what not..

I watched the saints x bears game and woowed everytime their WRs caught the ball. I miss seeing that in Tennessee, and its not all VY's fault.

However our greatest layback is the defense, and I for one wouldn't mind spending the big bucks to strengthen the secondary.

CB would be a good place to start...

Remember the good old days when we used to be one of the most boring teams to watch play because the score was always so low thanks to our dominating defense.. and now our defense is being smacked silly and giving up 40 points every now and then, and our offense is trying to catch up and win the game.. thats silly.

10. Hellblitzer

Hellblitzer Guest

Guys we need Samuals... period. We keep Hill for depth, and dump Woolfolk. I think we could get by, but thats about it. One injury would kill, like 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar