No-Huddle Offense Produces for Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Titans offense has sputtered most of the preseason with the exception of when it goes into a no-huddle. In Saturday's 20-6 loss to the Falcons, the Titans moved the football 64 yards in eight plays with under two minutes left in the half. During that drive, QB Billy Volek completed six passes and had four first downs. Previous to that, Volek had only completed a total of eight pass and three first downs the entire first half. The same happened last week in Denver where the offense scored its only points of the first half in a hurry-up offense. "It's a combination of (offensive coordinator) Norm (Chow) making the calls through the headset and me making the calls on the field," Volek said. "We're both working together at situations like that, and it's good that we're pushing the ball down the field. I don't know why that's working and other areas aren't. I think that as an offense maybe we'll jump in and out of that situation when we're stalled, like we were."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

The offense being used by the Titans in the preseason are mainly scripted plays. The Titans have not yet, "schemed" a team yet. That will come in the regular season. While I am not a believer in the "dink and dunk offense", Norm Chow has shown since arriving here, I believe we should hold our criticisms until we see a few regular season games this year.

If it is the same dink and dunk passes to the tight ends and RBs, then we will have a problem. We are told that the Chow offense is explosive. We will see soon enough whether it is explosive versus other NFL defenses outside of Titans training camp.

3. Titan

Titan Guest

We would have moved the chains alot more if you didnt throw a 4yrd pass at 3rd and long mister Volek. The difference here is in the two minute drill you were able to throw the ball. I heard Eddie George talking about how predictable we were in a third and long situation. With the no huddle you were able to lose that predictability and confuse the DF for the first time this year. I know he has the arm and brain to move the ball. I think he just need to take that little speaker out of his helmet and play some football.

4. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I don't buy the lack of "scheming" as an excuse. If its true that teams don't scheme in preseason then it just tells me we are still is serious trouble given the teams we have played have just pounded us playing vanilla football.

Its ridiculous to have 3 field goals in 2 games.

5. 4andershv

4andershv Camp Fodder

I do. Because Atlanta was playing prevent!!!

:crazy:

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I believe the no huddle, just like the run and shoot, works at all times. It works on the playgrounds, it works in highschool, it works in college, and it works in the pros. It's about as good as it gets. I don't believe it is the prevent defense that accounts for that success either. I think it's because you get back to simple football. The same football you play everyday growing up. It's a matter of repetition. You run this offense for the first 15 years of your life. And you just know how to work it. There's no thinking involved. You rely on all those years of just doing it. And I think the Titans would be better served to just let the offense open up. It hurts the defense, no doubt, but if you can score 24 points they may get to rest a little bit at the end of games.

7. FanSince'87

FanSince'87 Heretical Fanatic

One of the reasons that the no-huddle offense works for any team is that is doesn't give the opposing team a chance to make substitutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar