No comments on Schwartz?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Hey TJ.

Those of us who want to see the back of Schwartz aren't looking at him on the basis of one game or week to week if you like.

Was it a great performance yesterday,yes it was but we're seeing players on the field that we've been calling for for some time now.

Is Schwartz responsible for the recent improvement? Has the improvement simply come from the changes in personnel we've been forced into?

There's a positive vibe about the team at right now & the Offence & Defence are working hard for each other. That team chemistry that was misssing for so long is back & it's an intangible that can make a difference between winning & losing. Maybe #53 has gelled the D & turned things around with his leadership in the players only meetings.

Who's responsible for the changes to the starting lineup, Fisher or Chow & Schwartz? I really don't know. Against the Colts & the Skins Schwartz started out with a good scheme & I gave him credit. The last two games we've just seen the same old Schwartz bend dont break with a little extra blitzing but the execution by the players has improved.

The Albert & Pacman incidents could have pulled the team apart but instead they've responded positively.That's Fishers coaching we have to thank for that,not Schwartz, as a result the players starting to believe in themselves.

My point point (eventually) is that it's not clear that Schwartz is responsible for the improvement. There was plenty of talk in the 'CBS sportsline' thread of hoping that someone is going to take Schwartz from us by offering him a head coach job.

If we continue to improve all the way to end of the season then maybe he gets a reprieve but if someone like LeBeau( yes I kno that's not going to happen) can be brought in I'd take the new guy in a heartbeat

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If the Titans didn't stay in the nickel so much in the second half defending the pass, Westbrook wouldn't have had 120 yards. He had 20 yards and a 2.5 YPC average the first half when the game was close.

3. TitanJeff

That's not Schwartz's call to make. That's in Fisher's court.

Yet it WAS his responsibility when the defense was playing poorly?

Here's one I'd like to hear from the anti-Schwartzies...

If it is all about scheme, why didn't Finnegan, Fuller and Tulloch not suck yesterday when they were playing the same Schwartz scheme which has been on the field most of the season?

I'd like a more aggressive D overall but I know when the man deserves some credit.

4. TitanJeff

I hope you are not talking about me because I have NEVER said it was only the players. My only point in ever defending Schwartz is that he has never been the main reason the Titans defense has stunk.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

As I said before, our zone coverage was still comparable to Swiss cheese and we were lucky that the Eagles overthrew, underthrew or dropped a lot of passes.

The major improvement I noticed was better tackling.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

What took place yesterday was not predicate on something Schwartz did, as the majority of us know. The defense was led by rookie players and Hope, people who have not been exposed to Schwartzs' watered down methods, therefor they are able to have a greater success because they play with the same fire and teachings they had gotten from college. Once these guys are exposed to Schwartz, they will indeed regress. Is it any surprise that a 7th round rookie played better than our current starter, FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR? Why do you think this is? Next year, Schwartz will undermine his players again and put them in uncompromising situations for the betterment of his scheme. I don't know if it is a Napoleonic complex, or a control issue, but he obviously doesn't understand putting his players in a position to succeed.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Plus, McNabb was still burning off his hangover, and Garcia was well, Garcia. But he still managed to complete more passes than we wanted.

8. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Credit for what, being inconsistent? If you can hold one of the top offenses in check then why can't you hold one of the worst? That is my problem with him. He needs to do it for 16 weeks then he has done his job.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I didn't say it was Schwartzes call. I really don't know how much influence Schwartz has on that.

Schwartz has had personnel issues all season & yes that has limited what he's been able to do. Sirmon has been a weak link at times & Hill & Thompson are generally agreed amongst members here to be weak links.

Finnegan, and Tulloch showed that they are an upgrade on the players they've replaced & Fuller did well in what was previously Finnegans role. To further defend Schwartz, Thompson is still so bad that we can't scheme freely with him on the field.

We've improved the execution of Schwartz's scheme with these players but I still don't have confidence in Schwartz.

Regardless of whether any of us thinks a different DC would get better production out of his players there are still some things that are of great concern.

In the 2nd half of games when the opposition makes adjustments he seems slow to compensate with changes. Also when we have a lead it's okay to go cover 2 with deep safeties but for some reason we cant make that scheme work.

Lamont is useless so it may as well be called cover 2 with an open half of the field up top, yet he still sticks with it & we see teams move on us without burning the clock like we're trying to make them do. Thankfully this week we only bent over like that for one drive.

Was that Schwartz's decision, again I don't know.

10. TitanJeff

:spit:

How long do we have before Swartzie waters down that Samford "fire" for Finnegan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar