Nickelback vs OFF! CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 6, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD1: Nickelback vs OFF!

Poll closed Mar 7, 2016.
  1. Nickelback

53.3%
  2. OFF!

46.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

What is OFF, other than the bug spray?

2. RTH

RTH Meh...

Not as good as Nickleback, apparently.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I don't like Nickelback, but I also agree with this. They're just the band to attack by default.

But... They are bad.

IMO

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

OFF! is a retro Black Flag inspired hard rock supergroup featuring Black Flag's (and Circle Jerks) original singer Keith Morris, the amazing guitarist Dimitri Coates from Burning Brides, Steve McDonald (bass) of Redd Cross fame and former 411 drummer Mario Rubalcaba..
    Their impact on the punk underground was so profound that it inspired two separate groups (Black Flag and Flag) both featuring former members of BF to reform and record/tour these past couple of years.
    Ie OFF is at the center of the LA Punk Flag resurgence late.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Because both Nickelback and Bay are whores to their respective industries.
    Both are LCD appealing shills solely for money and both have a detrimental impact on pop culture trends.
    In other words, because they exist the world around us is lamer.
    Dig deeper and stop drinking the koolaid.

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

VICTORY

[​IMG]

See y'all in the finals queers!

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Nickleback is yet another Mutt Lange creation. They could've maybe gone unscathed until Kroeger took a photo op with Stephen Harper- Beiber did the same- and they followed up that dick move by releasing a bro country song. Then there's being married to that faux punk mascara abuser Avril Lavigne...

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Wouldn't say I'm drinking any koolaid. I don't particularly care for Nickelback or Michael Bay. My point is those "artists" would not exist if people were not digging what they are putting out. It's your prerogative to call those people lesser idiots but I just don't see how you can blame the folks who are super successful doing what they do. If I could be set for life directing formulaic blockbusters or singing lame pop rock I'd do it with zero shame.

And I'm not sure I buy into the opinion that they are actually directly dumbing down audiences or making the culture lamer. I put the onus squarely on the audiences themselves. People like what they like and tastes are subjective.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

"I put the onus squarely on the audiences themselves. People like what they like and tastes are subjective."

Hence "LCD- appealing shills". Hollywood, commercial radio and cable news all appeal to the lowest common denominator, and this is why the idea that fully free market economies will produce excellence is dead wrong.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I wasn't specifically directing that koolade comment at you and I never said anyone was an idiot - but these entities (Bay/Nickelback) are by no means artists beholden to their respective art.

They are very much purveyors of a product specifically shaped to maximize dollars and cents. These industries are run by monkeys and their business is very much monkey-see monkey do. And that that impacts the entertainment that is most readily available to you is nothing less than fact - and the only "opinion" involved whether the product we get is inferior or superior to the product we would would get if movie makers were allowed to make "their" movies and the music industry didn't pander to industry fodder.
    And I can take a wild guess that most people who care would side with the latter.

On one hand you acknowledge that they are selling out by calling it an attractive proposition, and no, none of us wouldn't at least consider it.
    But that doesn't change the fact that it remains selling out.

And as far as the audience being to blame - the mass majority is white clay waiting to imprinted with whatever brand they are told to be imprinted with.
    I stand firmly behind the opinion that any product the music industry deems to be the next big thing - will be the next big thing.
    I could get three other random people from GoTitans, cut a track with them and if the media of the day feeds them that snack on a regular rotation people will be slashing their wrists begging for more in no time at all.
    Subjective my arse. Consumers will consume what they are told to consume.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar