NFL should strengthen policies on enhancers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>There are performance enhancing drugs in football.</p> <p>The league does a good job of policing them -- certainly a far better than baseball, which suffered another embarrassing episode Tuesday as Alex Rodriguez tried to explain himself.</p> <p>But the NFL shouldn't rest on being the best and assume that nothing is going on. It should take a day like this, when the "SportsCenter" lead will be highlights and discussion of Rodriguez, as a warning shot. As if it's happening to football.</p> <p>The collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players needs to be renegotiated by the spring of 2010 to avoid an uncapped year. There are a lot of financial issues to sort out, but it should be taken, too, as an occasion to refortify the league's policies against performance enhancers.</p> <p>Surely both sides are looking at baseball, thankful it's not them and hopeful that it won't be in the future. Surely many players know teammates who are skirting the policies or using HGH that cannot be caught. I like to believe that at least the smart players think that while it's nice to be far cleaner than baseball, it would be nicer to be cleaner still.</p> <p>It's not enough that suspensions for <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8427" target="_new">Shawne Merriman</a> and <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=597" target="_new">Rodney Harrison</a> hardly registered on our collective radar because, comparatively speaking, it didn't seem as bad and because they were caught and penalized.</p> <p>Whatever it takes to be as thorough and discouraging as possible, that's what the NFL and the NFL Players Association should do to help guard against the possibility of ending up with the constant and unshakable questions that are tied to baseball.</p> <p>Baseball now has a policy; Rodriguez said he stopped using anything once that policy was in place. Even if it's a weak policy, it pulls the sport a bit closer to football and reduces the gap some. It's now time for the NFL to be progressive and set the new standard.</p> <p>If it means blood tests instead of urine tests, if it means more frequent tests, if it means everybody is tested year-round, hammer out an agreement. The powers who will sit at those negotiating tables are aware of A-Rod.</p> <p>I hope Rodriguez's situation has made the NFL think about how it can improve its safeguards and make sure the league don't end up anywhere near there.</p>

More...

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Fair enough. If they put so much emphasis on the 'enhancers', then they need to at least 'decriminalize' irrelevant stuff like weed. Is it illegal? Yes. But we are talking about the enhancment, not the legality.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I think the idea of drawing blood is a bit extreme.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

There's nothing wrong with prohibiting marijuana use or any other schedule I drug among NFL players. The NFL doesn't need widespread drug use. You know if it weren't for fear of suspension/consequence many players would smoke marijuana with regularity but that should be discouraged. I hate to play the role model card but if you are going to have guys like Reggie Bush on tv doing commercials telling kids to get outside and play... you can't have it be "ok" for the NFL guys to smoke weed. I don't have a problem with weed or people who smoke it. I don't like to see it in safety sensitive work environments because people get hurt because of that.. besides, there are way too many talented athletes that can play the NFL game. The NFL doesn't need pot. Leave the bong hits to the fans.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Wouldn't it be ironic if we later found out the NFL used steroids to strengthen their policy on enhancers??

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i agree with that 100%. it takes a day or two to recover from getting blood drawn. if the player who was tested on monday has a game on thursday(thanks nfln) is still feeling the affects of it, it could theoretically change the game.

you also have to take into account guys with diabetes or blood sugar problems.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

what? what's the big deal about getting blood drawn? Those little blood vials are tiny. Two 4 dram vials is all that would be taken. That's nothing. It's not like anyone is asking these guys to donate a pint or something. There isn't anything to recover from.

I don't understand the point that is trying to be made over diabetics. First, there's not very many of them, second, diabetics stick themselves ALL THE TIME to test their own blood.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

does someone get penalized for using something 4 years ago that is NOW on the banned substance list? I remember in College, a bunch of guys had to stop using certain supplements we had been using because it was a new addition to the list...

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Why would they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar