NFL says TV larger than 55" illegal at Super Bowl party ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RealestWhiteBoy, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Their product is the only one of it's kind

But they should stfu, they already make more than they deserve off that TV deal they struck years ago.

Be thankful NFL and be glad people still pay for your water downed version of football

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Good for you, I'd have a 90" TV if my livingroom was configured for that to look right,

As soon as I buy another house I'm making sure theres a mancave set up for a projecter

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Who cares how big a TV you have anymore? I've got like a 60 inch or something... After a week, it's just "the TV" and there's nothing special about it. Especially now that gigantic TVs arent even expensive anymore.

Not like when we were kids and it cost 2 grand for a big wide monstrous "big screen" non-HD projection TV. Which you couldn't give away now.

I don't think it's as much of a status symbol as it used to be. Especially considering a huge amount of welfare cases have a giant TV in their living space.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

It's not about the NFL. It's a US Copyright law that applies to everything. It's basically requiring a special permit to be bought depending on the size of your screen for video and number of speakers used for audio for public events (i.e. concerts, drive in movies, and other large gatherings). It's a crowd control measure, basically ... if you have the equipment to accommodate large crowds, then there will likely be large crowds, so we (US government) want a piece of the money you're making from them tickets. It doesn't apply to private parties.

5. RTH

RTH Meh...

TV envy...

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

ive got surround sound so all the bitches hear my bass thumpin them from behind

7. nickmsmith

The nfl's lawyers are the ones that enforce it though, right?

Same way with music in restaurants/bars. It isn't the government coming after violators, it's ASCAP/BMI. Theyre protecting their copyrights, not the US govt.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Says the guy with a 32"

But hey, only thing that matters is that your wife is happy

• LOL LOL x 2
  9. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

Both the government and the NFL have a claim, but under different copyright laws.

Music in a bar is a different thing, because you aren't violating this particular copyright law. The NFL would have a case under the same copyright laws as BMI suing for music in a bar. Basically, a licensing fee.

However, this law about '55" tv and 4 speakers' is basically pertaining to government permits. It's saying that in order to use large screens and large amounts of speakers (to restrict noise level), you have to have permission and give Uncle Sam a piece of the pie.

Basically, it's the same concept that you and me can have a weekly poker game with a few friends in my basement or a bet on the Super Bowl between us without violating any laws ... but at a certain point the government draws the line and says it's not a friendly gathering anymore, and has turned into a for-profit event.

10. nickmsmith

But in all seriousness, my brother owns a TV and appliance repair/sales store, so I get insanely good deals on TVs that are like new

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar