NFL Responds to Arbitrator's Ruling on the McNair Grievance

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: "Although the arbitrator ruled that the Titans cannot prevent Steve McNair from participating in the team’s off-season workout program, we are gratified that the decision has rejected numerous claims put forth by Mr. McNair and the NFLPA, including the player’s requests to be released from his contract and to be compensated for missed workouts. The decision also makes clear that the club’s actions did not constitute discipline and that players do not have an absolute right under the CBA to off-season workouts at a club’s facility. The arbitrator went out of his way to say that this is an unusual and narrow case, and that only under these unique circumstances must the club grant the player a right to work out at its facility."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I'd like to know what exactly makes this case so unique?

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Probably the Tennessee state law mentioned in the Titans press release.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well I figured that, but I'd like to know what exactly is stated in said law.

I can also foresee a problem for the NFL if individual state labour laws take precedence over the CBA.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

State law should come first seeing as the CBA is just a contract and not some national law.

but I bet that Tennessee being a "right to work" state is a part of it. My understanding of "right to work" basically means an employer can fire you without cause or notice, and you can quite without notice without repercussions.

I am sure those more knowledgable than me will enlighten me.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's true. You can be fired for no reason. But I don't know how that would have played into this situation. McNair wasn't fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar