NFL Fining System

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thesaurus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. globelieves

globelieves Starter

I think the percentage fine makes sense, but I don't ever see it happening for the same reason a speeding ticket isn't cheaper for the person driving the beat up clunker than it is for the person driving the sports car.

Just a thought, maybe (if the commish really wants change) the fines should be out the roof, assessed against the clubs instead of the individuals, and totaled against the clubs in a way that would discourage whatever conduct the NFL is so adament about discouraging. (Personally I haven't figured out what they are really after in all of this.) For example, if the Titans have over ten helmet to helmet hits, they give up a draft spot.

Personally, IMO, the NFL talks out one side of the mouth and acts from the other. These fines are hypocritical when every Sunday many players take to the field w/o the newer "concussion proof" (for lack of better words) helmets. (You can tell by the shape and the holes on the top.) Many players wear the old ones and aren't wearing proper mouth guards. If you say fines are to discourage injuries, how can you not make a rule that the players MUST wear the safer equipment AND fine the clubs for not issuing them. It's crazy.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I see your point but the police don't have the access to actual numbers like the NFL does. If you want to deter speeding for a rich dude, a flat $ amount won't do that unless it is so high it would be impossible for most of us to pay.

If the goal here is to punish equally, percentage of what that player counts, against the cap, is the only way to do that.

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

They need a point system, so many points for fines, and after a certain number of points you have to sit out games...

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Three strikes and YUR OUTTTT!

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

It's just because the league loves Andre Johnson. All the analysts just say he's the classiest receiver in the league. Well, I can't see that really being true after Sunday's game.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I think the fines are BS! BUT reputation is EVERYTHING in this case. Andre Johnson has been all class before the fight and Finnegan has been labeled the dirtiest player in the league so go figure.

It's not fair but I understand why they came to this. Both should have been suspended at least 1 game. Johnson should be suspended for the rest of the year. Had Finnegan or James Harrison been the one who landed those punches, they would have dropped the hammer on em.

Fighting should not be tolerated. A little bit of healthy trash talk is one thing but when you're ripping helmets off and throwing real dukes then you've just jumped way over the line. I'm not saying Finnegan shouldn't be suspended either but I am saying that Andre Johnson got off way too easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar