NFL Draft '09: Pick #89 - Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty Pacman Smith

This is supposed to help CJ out too, as it'll remove an extra linebacker.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm just waiting for Alex to pop up on here.

I figured when we picked another 3rd round TE, his head exploded.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:boom:

We are dumb. Here's what I don't understand. We had another draft pick 4 picks later. Why didn't we just use that pick and some later round picks to move up? A 2nd rounder next year??? Insanity.

Jared Cook is good. I can't really complain about the player here. I guess TitanJeff is right, Scaife and Crumpler will be gone so we can have Cook and Stevens. I still think Stevens will suck and was a waste, but we'll see. I'm still not a huge fan of player turnover in positions that we are doing well. But if Scaife really wants top5 TE money over a longterm deal, then I guess this is a cost effective strategy, because he's not worth it.

The other that ticks me off, Cornelius Ingram lasted til round 5. I know he's coming off missing his senior year because he blew his ACL last August; but he was an exceptional talent and is a high risk/high reward type of player. Just another option we could've used at TE.

So, are we gonna have 4 TEs active on gamedays in 2009? That seems a little excessive.

Well, I won't complain too much. I like Jared Cook, like I said he is a good receiving TE.

Giving up next year's second round pick was lunacy though. And for someone that likely won't contribute this season.

4. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

If he turns into a starter for '10, then he's worth a '10 second round pick.

5. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

I think it's because they wanted to pick him and still have the pick 4 picks later, which they used for Mouton. If they used their existing 3rd as part of the deal then they only have one pick still in round 3.

As I understand it, Mouton had a second round grade on some boards. So we possibly got both a TE and a CB that were 2nd round talent in the 3rd round, at the price of our 2nd next year in Cook's case.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yeah I'm sure your right, and that's what the Titans believe. I really don't know much about Mouton, hopefully he's solid.

One thing for sure, gonna be hard to trade up anywhere high in the 2010 draft with no second rounder. Guess we usually don't anyway.

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

The two 3rd rounders next year gave us the flexibility to move next year's 2nd for a player we really wanted. I don't like losing the pick, but I'm optimistic that Cook will turn out to be worth it and more.

We may be able to give the tradable 3rd and a 4th or 5th next year to move back into the 2nd if there's a player we really want.

8. Blaize

Blaize Camp Fodder

Jared Cook and Kenny Britt

Anyone else find it funny that Jared Cook is taller, bigger, faster, and can jump higher than Kenny Britt?

Britt: 6'3"
    Cook: 6'5"

Britt: 37" vert
    Cook: 41" vert

Britt: 4.51 40 yd
    Cook: 4.49 40 yd

Britt: 218 lbs
    Cook: 246 lbs

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

A reasonable argument could be made for a 5-year deal given that we're paying next year's second and are getting him a year early. Cook may also be able to ask for more moolah, saying "I'm here from the future...how cool is that?"

Anyway, I hope they do it. If Scaife's number climbed down, they could go into next year reasonably losing only Crumpler.

And yeah, bigups to the Fish for going amphibian on us and actually walking on land like a mammal. :gag:

Just kidding, Fish. You know you're my number one guy. I knew you could do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar