Next year's cap numbers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ChitownTitan, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Steve will stay one or two more years, then Volek and the Rookie will fight it out in next year's training camp to see who gets the job. Hoffa, you make a great point. Steve has sacrificed himself in alot of ways for this team and I don't see why he won't one more time. Steve's lack of production this year is due to the new system. It's one where you have to be with the offensive unit in practice all the time and Steve isn't known for being around practice much.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I dont think you will find Steve and Billy on the same team next year.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I heard the tail end of an interview with Mike Keith this week on Knoxville's Sports Talk 99.1 FM. Someone called in and asked what position the Titans would draft in the first round. Mike said it all depended on free agent pickups. He said the Titans have 10 million to spend and would be active in free agency.

Take it for what it's worth.

4. As far as I can tell, the Titans would head into the offseason with a total salary cap charge of approximately $96M. That's not accounting for any of our own free agents, just the 44 guys scheduled to be under contract (plus dead money from 2 players). We'll have to wait and see what the salary cap will be in 2006 before we know how far over that puts us.

As for savings, there is a lot of money to be saved by cutting just 2 guys prior to March 1. Hopkins would save over $3M (plus more in the future). Olson would save $6M. They could save over $1.5M by letting Henry walk.

Less likely would be Lamont Thompson, who could be cut to save $1.3M. Releasing Sirmon would probably save $3M or more (I'm not sure how big his option bonus is), but I'd guess they'll just alter his contract instead to save money.

If McNair retires, it would save over $14M (assuming you prorate the $50M bonus ahead of time). If they just decline the option and change nothing else, they'd save about $4M. In theory, if they reworked the contract to last through 2009, threw out the option, and paid him his current $9M this year in base salary, it would save $12.5M (the prorated value of the $50 option bonus).

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

$9M in base salary sounds more than fair to me. Simply pay him in that range on a year by year basis and don't pay a bonus we have to eat later on.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The QB situation that I don't want is to have Volek and our next franchise guy on the team together. That just sets you up for a QB contraversy. The young franchise QB needs to be mentored on what it takes to be a starting QB in the league. Volek doesn't know what it takes because he hasn't done it. If Mac is gone and we bring in a young QB that needs a yr or 2 to get NFL ready then I'd rather have a Dilfer, Kitna, Brad Johnson type come in and know that their role is to mentor the young QB and to manage the game without making mistakes. I say we try to get whatever value we can for Volek this offseason.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The main issue needs to be which QB gives us the best chance of winning in the developmental window. The secondary issue is the cost. If our chances of winning during that 2 year period are better with Volek and Volek is less of a burden on the CAP I would go with Volek.

Either way there is always going to be a contraversy if we have a young guy on the bench and the vet isn't playing well. It might be easier benching Volek if he isn't getting it done than a guy like McNair.

8. If McNair wants to come back, he'll be back. I think it's that simple. It's just a matter of reworking his contract.

As for Volek, they can trade him for a solid draft pick (maybe making up for Henry's 3rd rounder) and save about $620k in the process.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The real question might be has the coaching staff given up on Volek?
    I agree, for better or worse McNair will be the one calling the shots. No doubt the parties will agree on a contract IF McNair wants to return. IMO, for $9 million per year I would play until someone forced me to leave.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

whar is franchise tag for QB???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar