Newest Titans Could Have Been Drafted

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Where is Carlos Hall now?

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Just got re-signed with Kansas City.

3. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Just goes to show Reese is not the genius that many on this Board think he is. Sure he's found Runyan, Mason, and Olson on the second day, but he's had his share of stupid picks, just like every other GM, including plenty of first day picks.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In hind sight you can always find better players drafted after your picks.
    If we can find one solid starter each draft we are doing well IMO. When you are basically shut out of FA each year those picks become super critical. I'm sure alot of team wished they had drafted Mason before we got him in the 4th round.
    One problem I do think Reese has is he focuses too much on need after the 1st round. Drafting groups of guys at the same postion hoping one will work out. IMO you should try to take the BPA with every pick with need being the tie breaker, not the ultimate deciding factor. We have way to much dead weight because of those picks.

5. smili

smili Starter

I agree about not drafting so many players at the same position in the same year any more. We drafted a whole crew of defensive linemen a couple years back - Laboy, Odom, Starks, Schoebel, Clauss and then last year drafted 3 offensive linemen and 3 WR (Roos, Steward, Loper and Roby, B.Jones, R.Williams). I'd prefer we spread out the picks over different years different positions after we've had time to evaluate what we have, and maybe instead of taking all similar position in one year, mix in more variety over time. It should help the quality of depth (not so many greenies at once) and maybe if after a year we know better whether we need to spend more draft picks on a certain position. Seems like drafting so many at once at one position forces you to keep a lot of youth on the team to let it develop because you only have so many roster spots.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Me and my brother went through the 1999 draft in the Athlon book and we think around 4 or 5 times actually had a good draft that year. There wouldnt be too many around from that year.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I don't think this article really says anything at all because:

1) Every FA who gets signed COULD have been drafted by us.
    (unless came from AFL, CFL)

2) So what. We couldn't have kept them any cheaper if we had originally drafted them.

I think this is a stupid article. The GM's who drafted each of those had their share of busts during that year also. If anything, it says more about our player development in that we had few "stars" come out.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

There's not a GM in the league that doesn't miss on a pick or two every year. Look at guys like Volek, Bennett, Priest Holmes, Rod Smith, etc....nobody drafted them.

Now, granted, Floyd had a stretch of bad years, and got very little return on investment from the 2001 & 2002 drafts, and the 2003 draftees certainly have not lived up to their billing as yet. However, the 2004 draft has been quite productive, and the 2005 draft may very well turn out to be one of the best in franchise history...I'd hate to pull the rug out from under him just as he's hitting his stride again.

I'm not making excuses for the guy...after all, Floyd was the one who was responsible the screwed up cap situation. But in the last year or two, we have seen progress that makes me think perhaps Floyd has learned from his past mistakes, which should prevent similar mistakes in the future. Far too many teams are looking for the quick fix, and will clean house after two or three bad years. This approach may satsify the fans' sense of blood lust after a couple losing seasons, but it certainly doesn't promote any sense of stability within the organization....and how successful can an organization be if they're starting from scratch every 3-5 years?

It seems that a number of people prefer to villify Reese for mistakes that he made four or five years ago, and ignore the promising results from his moves in the last two years. With the talent they acquired in the last couple drafts, and some very shrewd moves in free agency, we're finally starting to see things get turned around, and we're ever so close to being out of the woods....the least we can do is give Floyd the benefit of the doubt until we see the results of his latest actions. The hard part is already over... given the overall direction we've seen thus far, I think he's righted the ship in a big way.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There is no way to know how good the class of '02 would have been if they could have stayed healthy.

10. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

To illustrate the hindsight point, many consider Tom Brady the best player at the most coveted position in the league and 198 players were chosen with him still on the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar