New Titans fan here

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Vince10, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

AD - good point there. And the Titans did that even when facing potential cap issues. The Texans have no real cap issues and easily could have gone after Givens. They got a good receiver in Moulds. But Givens has more upside. Plus, how could an Oiler fan pass up a Givens? (reference to Earnest Givins).

I'm glad to see that most of you guys don't seem to have outward hostility to us Vince-Oiler fans.

I did have to relate my favorite old school Bud Adams story. Back in the day, the Oilers had this on-field character - a fat guy we called Mojo who was our assistant equipment manager. Mojo would run out to collect the tee after every Oiler kick off in home games and do a flip/summersault when he got back to the sidelines. He was fan favorite big time. But at the end of the Luv Ya Blue era, Bud fired him (at least from his job collecting tees). I'll never forget Bud not wanting mojo to collect tees. The irony is too much. Now, Bud's always been a charitable guy but it used to be in a more Trump-like manner back in the day. Always firing people in some public rediculous embarassing way. There's no doubt that he was the king of BAD MOJO in his old Houston days. So there are perfectly good reasons why the team lost some fans over the years.

2. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

Oh and in re-reading the above posts, I admit I was once a Cowboys fan (until Jerry Jones bought ‘em) and once a Earlers fan too (until Bud fired Bum) so I’ll readily admit that I’ve been a fickle fan and that I don’t have any pedigree as a fan and there’s no reason for any of you to like me or respect me.

I’m a man who once felt (rightly or wrongly) betrayed in previous attempts to love an NFL team. I had a broken heart, a bad attitude and a lot of baggage.

I can’t help but feel affection for the Titans, though. I love Vince Young and somebody in the Titans front office must love him too. That’s a connection!

And I’m willing to bet that whether some of you are Cutler fans or Leinart fans, that before everything is said and done, you’ll love Vince Young too.

Vince Young, in my opinion, is like Babe Ruth or Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan. It’s like very very rarely – like once in a lifetime – God reaches down and says “BAM! There ya go, sportsfans. I’ve just given you the greatest. Enjoy him while you can.”

Vince Young’s like that and I have no doubt that someday you’ll all be telling your grandkids that you can remember when Vince Young donned the Titan blue.

It’s a humbling thing to stand in awe of such greatness, but it’s exciting too. I can’t help but be a Titans fan. I’ll try to know my place and keep my mouth shut, and I hope I won’t offend any of you more tenured Titan fans. But I’m on the bandwagon now and I’m on for the ride and none of you can push me off.

3. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

Yes sir. And I heard he came along for VY's tryout with the Titans.

You know, I almost felt bad for Sloan as well as his teammate receivers, Roy Williams and BJ Johnson, that they had to finish up their careers at Texas with Vince Young as a RD freshman QB, because in 2003 VY was definitely more of a run first, ask questions later kind of guy.

Roy Williams once complained that it might be third and long and he'd run out on a route and just as he was turning for the ball he'd see Vince Young come galloping past him and he'd have to turn back around and lay down a block.

I think Sloan will enjoy it a lot more this time around. Vince Young worked really hard to improve his passing game. I can't wait to see how much more he'll improve when he can work on football all the time without having to carry classes too.

4. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

Is that a local store or is it a website??...

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I think they already had them made (NFL Properties)
    I say that because Vince already had a #10 Young Titan jersey available to him at the draft. I can't remember any other player ever having their jersey available on draft day

6. Vin-Sanity!

Vin-Sanity! Guest

Great response, Caphorn. You're absolutely right. I also remember that Bud had his own agenda ($$$$$). It's not that the fans in Houston were unsupportive of the Oilers. Adams was looking for the highest (and hungriest) bidder. He basically held the team for ransom. I remember watching SportsCenter the last day the Oilers played in Houston. The stadium was half empty and all they kept showing was these diehard fans who were singing "Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers #1......" A very sad moment that, quite frankly, a lot of the media made a mockery of.

Being from California, it really didn't matter to me when the Oilers left Houston (except that I think it really sucks when teams move, ask any Baltimore Colts or Cleveland Browns fan). Similarly, the Sacramento Kings have the best fans in the NBA (including myself) and I know if they ever left Sactown, a lot of hearts would be broken.......and we got the Kings from Kansas City. What comes around seems to go around.

Anyway, it's best that the Oilers moved. They play in front of the wildest NFL fans in the country now. And they play on grass. That old Astrodome was murder on the knees!

[​IMG]
    "If you have a chance to get Michael Jordan, you get Michael Jordan." -- Ted Thompson, GM Green Bay Packers on Vince Young.

7. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

I guess you can say I am official now, I have been lingering around the site for the last few months.

8. SARGO127

SARGO127 Starter

Welcoem man

9. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

Thanks for the kind words. But in Houston Oiler fans' world this statement is practically blasphemy.

I do look forward to seeing the house that Bud has built in Nashville. Given how long the city worked to find a team and the success which Bud brought with him (Jeff Fisher and Floyd Reese), I can see where people feel a certain loyalty to Bud. I'll be there in support of Vince and his team. You've now become Vince's team for some of us. Sorry about that. I'll bury the old hatchet with Bud just to be able to participate. I sort of feel short-changed having lost Vince from my Longhorn team frankly.

I've never held anything against the fans of the Titans and people of Nashville. My wife happens to be a Titans fan anyway.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

uhh...fella...

"Just so you new TENNhead, just because of Vince, old Oiler fans Know, the fans of the Titans, in Tennessee have no respect for you and think you are lousey fans for throwing your team away. Nice to see you are showing them how fickle and easy you are. Have a nice day."

don't worry about him... He's just mad because I told him that this was going to happen. honestly, I think it cool that he's mad. It makes me laugh.:ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar