New Kickoff Rule

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

This new rule is a disaster. Whoever came up with the idea should be ashamed of themselves. Kickoff returns can be some of the most exciting moments in games. If this were a rule in 1999, there would have been no Music City Miracle.

Who cares about player safety, seriously??? No one likes to see players get hurt. What happened to Kevin Everett was awful, but these players chose to play football for their career. It can be a very dangerous sport and all players know that. It would be like taking guns away from cops and giving them toothpicks instead... or giving our military air soft guns.

In my opinion, it is truly the worst rule in the league. I don't see it sticking around long. No one likes it.

• High Five High Five x 9
  2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

While I agree with the increased concern and punishments over helmet to helmet hits and hits to defenseless receivers I think this rule is just horrible! I also agree that it won't last long. I hope it doesn't anyway.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I also hate this rule.

4. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

one of the worst rules ever!

5. CaptainInsano02

CaptainInsano02 Starter

Even though I hate this rule too, I have counted at least 2 kick returns for touchdowns already in this first week of the preseason

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This rule is putting lipstick on a pig.

Does anyone really think the NFL cares about player safety? I can guarantee they don't. What they care about is having to pay for pensions and health care after retirement. More injuries mean more money spent.

If I were a special teams coach and had a good kicker, I'd be kicking the ball higher than last year with more hang time inside the five yard line, with hopes of getting the ball returned but keeping it inside the 20 and not going for the touchback.

I would have liked for this year to be an experimental year. Move guys on the kicking team within the five yard running start(another new rule, instead of ten yards) and keep the kick at the 30 yard line. If that doesn't reduce injuries, move the ball to the 35 next year.

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I am willing to wait and see. At first glance you would think that there will not be many returns or even chances for returns. But I suspect that coaches are going to try to pin the O down deep into their own territory. Meaning they will "short kick" it to around two or three yards deep. The return man will have to make a split second decision as to whether to bring the ball out. Combine that with the other side of the new rule which prevents running start by the kicking team and we could see a new exciting but, yes, different return game. Give it a chance.

8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

That's Roger Goodell for you.

What's next to be changed, I wonder?

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

it will be ironic if there were more injuries on k/o returns because of the return man running up to the 10 yard line waiting for a sky ball to come down as he gets completely leveled...

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Now I can go refill on snacks during the commercial and kickoff now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar