New general manager?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

So Webster has to be out now, right?

And it would be stupid to hire a new head coach before hiring a new GM. My strong belief is that the only proper way to run a franchise is to first hire the GM and then let him hire the head coach. There must be a clear power structure with everyone on the same page.

We saw what happened when Fat Tommie went over Webster's head and hired Whisenhunt.

So why is all the talk about the Titans' next head coach and none of it about the next GM?

2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I agree, you would think everyone could do the 1+1 and see that Webster is painfully awful and does not need to be re-signed.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Because as of right this instant we have a GM. Whereas at HC we have an interim HC. Key word being "interim". Its implied Mularkey knows he's likely out.

The moment Webster is shown the door the discussion will shift. I agree that we need a new GM in place to move forward, that time should come shortly.

4. TorontoTitanFan

Webster has an expiring contract. If the Titans are still acting like he's the GM, that's insane.

Right now is the time to be aggressively pursuing candidates to become the new GM. It could take a few weeks to get that wrapped up.

Then the new GM should hire the next head coach.

There's no time to waste here.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't think the Titans HAVE to sign a GM before a new Head Coach. It would definitely be better and more ideal, but I don't think it is a must.

It is more of a must that they don't miss out on hiring a good HC because they don't have a GM in place.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

Theyre doing themselves no favors putting it off but give them a few hours.. We should know a lot more in the coming hours.

7. JCBRAVE

No we should get this right, its so easy to after all.

Have a GM in, let him hire the HC. Proceed as if we know wtf we're doing. We shouldn't do it backwards.

8. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

your thread title is terrible, I oughta punch you

9. TorontoTitanFan

I can envision a world where hiring the head coach before the GM works, but only if there is a clear power structure set out from the beginning that both parties are happy with.

I've seen too many times what happens when a team fires either the coach or GM but not both, then the two sides get stuck with each other despite not being on the same page. The Dolphins seem to do this every year.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The only way to correctly do that is if we are announcing Webster firing today and the GM replacement tomorrow and already know which 3 or 4 coaches we want.

Otherwise, coaches are going to be signing pretty real soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar