New defensive weapons, new coaching. What do you expect?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

I'm curious why you think this?

Gray ran all types of coverages depending on the personnel.
    I don't think there is any way to know for sure what to expect, other then both of the DC he's coached under (Gregg Williams and Greg Blache) have run variants of the 4-3 Under.
    I know with the Redskins the secondary ran a lot of Cover 1 man and Cover 3 zone.

I think he'll be a good coach for your defenses but I don't think he'll be crazy aggressive or exotic.

2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Anything that is different from a 4 man rush with both DE's lining up way off the line trying to get the corner and giving no run support will be exotic for our defense...

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

As long as we hit Peyton Manning more than a few times I'm happy.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think we will see a LB blitzing fairly often but mixing it up to keep the offense off guard.
    The thing I didn't like about our predictable defense before was the offense always knew what to expect. When you bring a LB fairly often it forces the offense to keep a RB or TE in to block so you end up with one less guy to cover anyway.

5. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Sox-(and whomever wants to answer)
    In the event Gray does run a 4-3 under, who'd would you peg as the LDE?
    I think Babin is too small and could probably kick over the RDE (if he stays).
    I kinda think Jason Jones or Jovan Haye would work at LDE then w/ Casey stepping into a DT role.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Def Jones...

7. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

I was looking at your depth chart, I didn't realize how small your defensive front was.
    Is the plan for Casey to start? -B/c from the looks of things he's the only true DT 0-2 tech on the roster.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Not exactly sure what our starting front four will be. Free agency could change alot of that. Alot of people think Jason Jones will make the switch to DE, leaving Brown, Casey, Marks, and Haye at DT. Morgan is our ONLY DE on the roster worth starting, and I personally don't think we will/should bring Babin back. When this stupid lockout gets lifted... we'll know more.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Derrick Morgan would have to play the left side if they resign Babin. This guy was the 16th pick last year so he better be starting on one side and ideally we would have had him on the right side but at 275 he certainly could play on the left.

We have to have our best people on the field and Morgan and Babin are the best DEs we would have.

Also William Hayes could play that spot at 275 lbs but he has been a disappointment.

We had always drafted speed first on the D-line. One gap Dts and speed rushing type ends. It was only by chance when the Titans had a bigger line. One of the best lines we had was when we had Kevin Carter at left end. At 290 lbs he was exactly the kind of guy we need now.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm not so sure about Jones at left end. I don't like giving up that speed inside. I think Haye could be a good run down guy at left end if we wanted to do that. He moves along the line of scrimmage well and gets in on a lot of tackles. As long as we have somebody else to come in on passing downs because he sucks at rushing the passer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar