Netflix Instant Stream Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by TitanJeff, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Agreed. The guy was a dynamo of a character actor. Larger than life in a ton of roles, but he knew how to be understated too.
  2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Creepshow - purveyor and appreciators of the almighty "B" need not apply. Because man, does this film have a whole lot of superb "B-movie" cogs. You have a rock-solid, fantastic-on-paper mash-up of Romero as the director and horror scribe King as the screenwriter. This could have fallen flat, but it does not. Not even a bit. Know why? Because this film is a ******* blast to watch.

As said earlier, there is a ton of great talent here. Tom Atkins (a favorite of mine), Leslie Neilson (in a rare but superb villainous turn), John Carpenter regulars Hal Holbrook and Adrianne Barbeau, and a plethora of other smaller talents populate four different tales, all of which are worth your time. King himself even makes an appearance in the second story.

I won't give anything away about the stories themselves, but I will assure that they all deliver. There's a very conscious use of the vintage EC-comic vibe, and it works incredibly well. Some stories are a bit funny, some rather dark, and one is, for my money, a bit depressing (as depressing as alien-plant consumption can be I suppose).

P.S. - Keep an eye out for two very young stars-in-the-making - an always intense Ed Harris and Ted Danson have small roles.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Start Whitehurst Tip Jar Donor

^ and Gaylen Ross' only other notable movie appearance aside from DoTD..
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Indeed. I didn't want to make a run-on sentence, so I only listed the most notable. But man is there a lot of talent here. Ross, E.G. Marshall, Fritz Weaver, and Warner Shock are all here and doing solid, solid work. Hell, Savini himself takes a break from his makeup work and shows up as a garbageman!
  5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]
    they have all the Trailer Park Boys

and do NOT let anyone under cursing age watch even part of 1 episode. Its not that the language is bad, but the show is Faulknerish in that they totally use the correct language and it is all 4 letter words.

Greatest Canadian cable TV show ever set in a Halifax trailer park, plus it stars Michael Jackson and Ellen Page.

Knock, knock?
  6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Watched Food Inc. last night. Not sure what to eat today...
  7. CRUDS

Mung beans sprouted off of a moist paper towel in your kitchen is about all that's safe after Food Inc.
  8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

9. CRUDS

Chaos reigns..
  10. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

I can't begin to tell you how awesomely blessed and fortunate I am to have met engaged the only Maui native woman who can cook damn near anything in the world and in a completely healthy manner. I just about can't get through a meal with processed foods any more... once you find out what real food tastes like all you can taste is the garbage and fakeness of processed foods.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.