Net problems :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Changed internet providers, and had to get a new "media adapter" and "wireless-N network adapter" from Linksys for an upstairs computer. The new net company is supposed to provide speeds about the same as the old company. The Linksys icon on the toolbar of the upstairs puter always shows a near 100% signal and good to excellent signal strength.

Problem is, half the time the net almost stops or does completely stop and shows the damned "connection timed out" page. So for anyone more proficient in this stuff....where should I start?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

linksys sucks, at least in my experiences.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I would only buy Netgear or D-link mid price or higher wireless equipment.I've set up 3 Netgear routers this year & all of them work perfectly with no complaints.

Don't waste hours/days ripping your hair out trying to sort out a piece of crap.Decent kit usually works right away with few issues.

Some wireless routers have a reset button hidden away in a pin hole.Google yours & reset it if you can.Failing that,personally I'd take it back.

Find a router on Amazon with a lot of good reviews & then shop around for the best price on it.

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Don't neglect to test the speed of the ISP without the router.
    Check it plugged directly in to a computer.

Thinking there is a problem with the router when there is a problem with the ISP could lead you in circles, replacing equipment that is not faulty.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. I blamed my router for problems when I had a bad modem from Comcast. Plugging directly into my laptop should tell you what you need to know.

My Linksys router has been much better than my Netgear. Research models as I've seen opinion swing wildly based on the model being reviewed.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Thanks y'all :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar