Nate Burleson signs $49mil deal with Seahawks ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

WHAT THE PUCK ?!?!?!

(I assume some of you have already seen this or know of the story)
    -but for those that don't-

the Seahwaks, upset over Minny's offere to Steve Hutchison, fire a shot of their own to draw Nate away

and almost an identical value

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SEA/9350301

"If Burleson plays at least five games in the state of Minnesota or if his annual salary average is more than the average of his team's highest-paid running back, then the entire $49 million would be guaranteed. "

what what what ?!?!

on top of it all, Seattle also owes Minny a 3rd round pick

what a weird event

2. The end of the contract won't matter because the Seahawks will just cut him before then (or sign an extension). It was inserted as a way to prevent the Vikings from matching, because it would have been guaranteed if he played for Minnesota.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

boy these contracts clauses has opened up a can of worms.

4. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i heard on sirius the other day that the contract is really only like 4 years n 17 million or something like that

it was weird how they explained it all out...

5. Ice

Ice Guest

It works out to 4 yrs. $14 mil. with 5.25 guaranteed.

6. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I'm curious to see what happens with these contracts. I'm assuming nothing will happen with these two. My concern is what are they going to do to sop this sort of thing? I would have thought that the league would not have allowed the burleson deal. I mean come on, it was unfair. The Vikes got hosed. Gunny's correct about the can o' worms. This could get ugly.

#90 Camp Fodder

I thought about this when the Hutchinson deal came about.....What if the seahawks already had an OL guy with a contact that said, "If you are not the highest paid OL in 2006, then..." I mean, you could get into a situation where you'd have nothing but an OL for a football team.

Koodos for the Seahawks....No way can they not allow the deal, because the Vikings would make out awesome, and get to keep Hutchinson.

The arbitrator opened this can when he said posion pills were ok, next we will see 100 million dollar contracts if a player plays more than X number of games in a given state, so much for the RFA tag, it's totally obsolete!

8. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

I've read a couple places the the Vikes wanted to challenge the poison pills in the Burleson deal and the league leaned on them hard not to. They want this to go away until they can address it next season. I guarantee you there will be rule changes in 07.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

no doubt there nigel. Washington will own every player by pulling stuff like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar