Musician Thread

Discussion in 'Gear' started by onetontitan, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

To be fair, Danny Carey could make a drum set made out pots, pans and old Quaker oats buckets sound good - and I'm not even a Tool fan..

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

UPDATE: Been playing with this thing and it's exactly what I was looking for. I have the Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter, but it's entirely too much pedal... this MXR is ONE knob, and one knob only....perfect phase sweep with it, perfect volume.

I was wondering why this was being sold... virtually brand new... then I figured it out: it's battery-op only; no DC jacks. I drilled a hole in the side and added a 1-Spot battery clip converter. Teh funkee shizzle.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Yeah nothing sounds quite like the Phase 90. A one trick pony - but it's a cool trick. I have a coupla MXR pedals - Phase 90, Microamp and Dynacomp..
    If I used pedals more often these would be in the mix...

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

A fully cranked Dynacomp, a Phase 90 at 12:00 and a
    Les Paul in middle position is the very essence of funk! A Tele in middle position will do it too.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I finished up my MIM strat project, (Avvie's already seen it)
    from
    [​IMG]

to

[​IMG]

In less than a month (with a lot of help from my brother and friends)

I just got a squier strat for 90 bucks (normal-boring white pickguard on black guitar)
    similar to this one [​IMG]

And I'm going to upgrade it similarly. New pickguard, new color, gonna tint and clearcoat the neck hopefully to get a more "amber" look. I won't mention anything about the headstock decal, but I just did.

Here is the list of GPO's loaded pickguards, I can pick any pickup/knob color I like.http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/index.php?cPath=35_90

So I'd like to get you guys opining on which colors to do. I LOVE the white guitar bodies, but I've got the arctic white in the pic above, and a lefty hendrix ripoff that looks olympic white. But if you think that's still the way to go, that's cool.

(sunburst is not an option) I've got a connection with a few body shops/individuals with equipment to get me a perfect looking finish for hopefully 50 bucks. I SUCK at finishing myself.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

With Strats I like uni-color schemes - all black or all creme..
    Try taking the neck down to raw wood and tung oil the wood rather than a satin finish. Nothing is smoother or faster..

7. nickmsmith

cool. I may sand it, stain the maple parts, then tru-oil it. I've got some left from my last project, and the stuff is great on fretboards.

And I agree with liking the solid color schemes. I like going a bit out of the ordinary with colors. The owner of a bar I play at also owns an auto paint store, so I think I can pick literally any color I want. It might sound a bit fruity, but I love the pastel colors on strats. The light blues, yellows, greens, and I'm even tempted to try a very light pink body with a black pickguard with black or white pickups, haven't decided. Never seen one like that before.
    [​IMG] Like a non-relic'd version of this with all-black pickups/guard. Maybe a bit lighter pink too.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I've used ye olde "dunlop orange" for years but needed something a bit firmer and faster for a project I'm doing this summer - so I tried these Ultex sharp picks. Good god man! They are the shiz. I'm pulling off stuff at speeds I could only dream of before. They last far longer than any stiff pick I've tried in the past to boot. Worth every extra penny, and I am not going back to the oranges...

[​IMG]

9. nickmsmith

I just get used to a certain thickness and texture of the picks I normally use, and if I try anything else, I immediately freak.

One of my buddies' dads works at a plastics company, and found an abandoned barrel of thousands upon thousands of these:[​IMG][​IMG]

He gave me hundreds for free.
    I've been gigging weekly for over 2 years now, and I've had them longer than that, and I still have tons. Are they good picks? Hell no. They break all the time (plus I'm a very hard player, I destroy pickguards because I play abnormally rough for some reason) and I still have hundreds. If I played anything else, even better ones, it feels foreign.

LOL. this choad is trying to sell one of these for 6 dollars as a collectors item. I'm sitting on a gold-mine

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-SABBATH-2...855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf7da662f

or better yet: $21.00
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-SABBATH-H...909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb5d2ec4d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar