Munchak: Year One

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

A nice little piece on the coach's first year. Looking forward to 2012

click

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Like the article says, Munchak's first season didn't have a storybook ending, but the teams play speaks volumes, and leaves us excited for the future.

This team never quit, and kept fighting to the very last second of the season.

The same can't be said of past teams we've seen, so I'm overall happy with the 2011 Titans.

I think if this team had instant results (playoffs), they wouldn't come back as hungry as I feel they will.

Look at the Jets under Rex Ryan. They squeaked into the postseason back to back seasons, but now they're falling apart only 3 years into Ryan's tenure in New York.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Munchak is a scrub.

What does the guy even do? He doesn't call plays on offense, he probably has no idea what goes on defensively. His offensive line sucks which is irony at it's finest considering he's a HOF offensive lineman.

I know for a fact he isn't doing any sort of coaching on the sidelines gameday. The guy just sits there and asks whoever is on the other side of that headset if we're "really this bad?" What exactly does he do that everyone loves so much? He's not out there making plays for the team or even helping out via challenges and other coaching tactics (his challenge skills are laughable). People talk about his drafting but if Jeff Fisher had little to no control over who was drafted after 17 years why would Munchak have any control year 1?

What he plays Ke$ha during warmups, changed the schedule around and goes 9-7 vs cupcakes and that makes him a good coach?

LOL. This is the standard? Buddy, 31 other teams rarely quit also, it's only our delusional fans who think the titans do it every time we lose.

4. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

The team never quit? Colts game? If that's not quitting I don't know what is.

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

When you say silly stuff like this it just makes me disregard the rest of your post... which saves me some time. So it's both a laugh and a time saver. Kudos. :smile:

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. JCBRAVE

You two have absolutely zero clue. TheSureThing, what exactly are you so sure of again? LOL.... What happened vs Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Houston, and Indy, was we put an unprepared team out there vs those teams in those loses. It was very easy to sleep on Indy when they were 0-13. I called it the week before for crying out loud. How did I know we'd possibly lose? Teams ALWAYS sleep on opponents like that. We didn't quit! We simply didn't show up.
    They NEVER quit, and if you think they did, you're only claiming so because you don't know what else to say.

7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Uhh, most head coaches don't. Play calling duties usually fall on the coordinator.

This team had a lot of holes to fill in the shortened offseason. Its not realistic to believe that every single one of them could be addressed. G and C were a need going into the season, and they are still a need. Plus the blocking schemes changed a lot, and it was impossible to know that Amano would suck so bad this year. If he doesn't address this and have it fixed after next season then I would start complaining, but now it is a little too early.

What do you know of his tactics? Are you on the other side of the headset? I agree there are some areas that like challenges that he could improve in, but he did a good job going for it on 4th downs. But seriously, what do you want him to do? He is the head coach, his job is to manage the team, players and coaches, put them in a position to succeed, and let them do their jobs. Not micro manage every little aspect of the game.

Does your boss do your job for you, or does he trust you to do your job while he manages all the other people that are supposed to be doing their jobs.

He probably didn't have final say about who gets drafted, but he does have final say on who is on the roster, and who plays. Munch played a lot of rookies and young guys this year, something that Fisher never did, and he got good results. At least Munch was willing to put his BEST PLAYERS out on the field, and wasn't afraid not to play someone with more talent just because he had less experience. They have to get experience sometime

9-7 is a good record, its not great and I won't settle for 9-7 every year, but its a good starting point. This was a 6-10 team last year with a lot of issues and holes to fill. If you thought that anyone could come in here and turn this team into a superbowl contender, you are delusional. Munch basically came in and gutted this team (new OC, DC, WR coach, QB Coach, OL coach, LB coach, etc.) and you expect instant success??? Every time I have ever seen a new coach hired to take over a rebuilding team, let a lone a rookie HC, they say give him 3-5 years to turn the team around. It has been 1 year for Munch, and he already has the team heading in the right direction.

Look, I'm sorry he didn't have a good of a record as Harbaugh, and what he did is just amazing, but that kind of turn around is very rare for any coach to do in just one season. But how many coaches are out there that have been around for years have worse records, and even more importantly, their teams futures just don't look so bright?

Munch came in with a vision, and he has taken major steps to realize that vision, but he is far from done. He already fired one coach this year, I am sure a lot of other changes will come as well.

I really like what Munch has done with this team, and I think he will turn out to be a very good HC in a few years.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Question TheSureThing...

What have you ever started from the ground up?

9. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

Munchaks rules are most likley pretty comparable to most other teams.It's just that he witnessed 1st hand what a "players coach" like Fisher allowed and chose a different type of enviroment in the lockerroom.The norm seems to be a playoff team in 3 years now or your out.Muchak had to kind of play the hand he was dealt last season because of the lockout so I expect him to put his stamp on the draft,roster and free-agency this year.

10. JCBRAVE

I mean did anybody really expect Munchak to go 12-4? He met some quality coaches that should beat a first time coach. If these same slip-ups occur next year, maybe I'll side with TheSureThing, but under the circumstances, Munchak did well.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar